Header
Header
Header
 


11 October 2010

From an auctioneers to auction

On Friday I travelled down to Maidstone in Kent, to deliver a speech for Clive Emson, whose land and property auctioneers was celebrating it's 21st anniversary. The room was so packed that I wasn't left in any doubt about Clive's popularity in the area, and as I didn't escape until 4.30pm, you will have a clue as to how good a party it was. I returned to London in time to join the film producer, Jeff Steiner, for dinner to discuss the possible re-make of Kane and Abel as a film. He told me that Hollywood are now making films that are either over $100m or under $10m, but not a lot in between. It is clear that Kane and Abel could not be made for under $10m, so it would be necessary to prove to a major studio that it was worth investing a large sum on a book that has already had a mini-series, and has been around for 30 years. I'm not holding my breath.

On Saturday evening, I conducted an auction for Breast Cancer Campaign at the Dorchester, and raised £89,000. Auctions have been up and down this year, in both the amounts raised and attendance, so it was wonderful to walk into the ballroom and find every seat sold, and all the guests thoroughly enjoying themselves. Though I sometimes wonder if some of the cancer charities should join together. I've done auctions for three of them in the last three weeks, all extremely worthwhile, but would their resources be better used if they came together?

On Sunday I had lunch with my son, William, as Mary had a hospital lunch meeting (yes, on a Sunday). We then went off to the cinema to see Wall Street, Money Never Sleeps, despite Will wanting to see Made in Dagenham. I insisted on seeing Wall Street as I'd enjoyed Michael Douglas in the original so much....all I can say is I wish I'd listened to William.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was disappointed too. The new wall street film didn't know what it wanted to be. Gecko is a great character and you would think there was plenty of good material at the present time for a sequal. The two young co stars were weak and took the film in the wrong direction. The guy playing bretton was gd though.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Maddykart said...

Wow!! a remake of 'Kane and Abel" ?! That would be awesome!!.....i'll have my fingers crossed.....please let us know if it gets confirmed.
-
Madhuri

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure when one of these stupid studio execs stops comes to senses and starts making real movies, rather than just blowing up cars, then Kane and Abel shall be made. But I really doubt that Kane and Abel can in one movie. You'll have to have a duology of sorts. Its impossible to do justice to the awesomeness of the movie in less than 6 hours. I for one would want a really slow movie covering everything present in the book, though that might not be commercially feasible because people now believe in fast and short and have really low attention spans.
In any case, thank you Sir, for writing Kane and Abel. Its one of the best pieces of work I've come across.

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home