And Thereby Hangs a Tale was published in paperback on Thursday last week. All my paperbacks are now being released in the new 'B-format' which is a much more handsome product. It's interesting to see the progression in the book trade over the past 30 years. When I look at a first edition hardback of Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less, price £3.50, it's roughly the same size as today's paperback, and as retailers this week will probably be selling And Thereby Hangs a Tale for around £4.99, it shows that books remain very good value. Some of you will have noticed that the publication date has been advanced by a week. Modern publishers have to fit in with what the superstores require when they want you as book of the week, which is fair enough. So although I've been told by Macmillan that publication date for Only Time Will Tell is May 21st, in the end, frankly, it won't be the publishers, but WHSmith, Tesco, Asda, Waterstone's etc that decide when it will be published.
I ended up doing several interviews on Thursday and Friday, although most of the journalists seemed more interested in my views on the clocks going back at the weekend, even asking if I intended to bring back my 1999 Time Change Bill, which would allow us to remain on British Summer Time. You all know my views on this, but as the Prime Minister is evidently giving it his serious consideration (not least because no expense will be involved), perhaps my decade-long battle will at last come to fruition. Don't hesitate to let your local MP know how you feel. Let me tell you that any Member of Parliament who receives one letter about an issue, thinks about it; three letters, and he takes it seriously; ten, and he's demanding to see the PM.
I ended up doing several interviews on Thursday and Friday, although most of the journalists seemed more interested in my views on the clocks going back at the weekend, even asking if I intended to bring back my 1999 Time Change Bill, which would allow us to remain on British Summer Time. You all know my views on this, but as the Prime Minister is evidently giving it his serious consideration (not least because no expense will be involved), perhaps my decade-long battle will at last come to fruition. Don't hesitate to let your local MP know how you feel. Let me tell you that any Member of Parliament who receives one letter about an issue, thinks about it; three letters, and he takes it seriously; ten, and he's demanding to see the PM.



9 Comments:
Nice to see you standing up for lighter evenings :) Please let someone have the courage to get on and do this and stop all the faffing.
You are awesome!! :) :)
I have absolutely nothing against Mr. Archer personally. In fact, I quite like his writings. He sounded and looked like the "sort of fellow with whom, in (ab)normal circumstances, I would have enjoyed a pint at the local," to quote his own words from Trial and Error. However, all this "books," "biographies," "buy books," etc. add up to a lot of B's that reduce the man to a level much lower than one would have gathered from reading his books.
Jeffrey,
You must be quick off the mark with the other bill you tried to get through parliament too. William may soon get engaged and marry, surely your bill to have the first born become king/queen regardless of sex would gather much support in both houses.
Once the couple have children it could be too late to make the change.
Richard
Bristol
i've always been an admirer of your writings. i have read and purchased paperback & harbound copies of your novels but i consider "sons of fortune" one of the priceless literary acquisitions that i have made. i've read it for more than ten times already but everytime i turn the page, it feels like i'm reading it for the first time. more power!
michael saiyo
philippines
I have read alot of Archer's books, and I finally got myself a copy of the book Mrs Archer considers his best - As The Crow Flies.
Just over a hundred pages or so in and I think she may well be right. The early scenes in The East End of London and the battle fields of WWI are great, now we are in Chelsea and at the start of what will certainly be a meteoric rise to fortune.
Is "And Thereby Hangs A Tale" going to be available for Kindle?
I have all the books you've written, but we're out of space in our book case and we don't have the room in our house for another book case, so Kindle it is!
Cheers
Penny
Sydney, Australia
And Thereby Hangs a Tale...you'll be glad to know that your publishers are doing a fine job publicising this book in Poland. I have seen several posters at tram stops, bus stops and under the central station in Warsaw advertising your book.
I very much enjoy your stories. However, I find it very hard to believe that a company such as De Beers doesn't have CCTV in their viewing rooms for expensive diamonds. If they didn't it would open the floodgates for every slight of hand magician to pull such a trick!
Good story though...
PS I still think they should make "Prisoner of birth" into a movie.
Alex.
Post a Comment
<< Home