Header
Header
Header
 


30 September 2010

From the home of cricket to the seat of valour

On Tuesday, I caught the train to Sheffield to speak at the Sheffield Cricket Lovers' Society 50th Anniversary charity lunch, in support of five local charities - Help for Heroes, Wellbeing of Women, Neurocare, Cavendish Cancer Care and Sincere Support. Great fun, and they told me to watch Adam Lyth very carefully - he's just won the Professional Cricketers' Association Young Player of the Year Award, and they predict he's a genuine star with a long Test future. The last time a Yorkshireman told me that, his name was Geoffrey Boycott. So I live in hope.

I then travelled on to Stonyhurst College in Lancashire, to address pupils, parents, and staff, which was quite a contrast from the lunch date. I began the evening by being shown their impressive book collection, with works owned by Queen Anne and Thomas Cranmer, and relics - including a gouged eye and a case containing some of Prince Edward's skin - that would just as happily grace a horror museum as the British Museum. Yuk. But I bet those schoolboys revel in it.

One of the most frightening aspects of giving my speech in the Great Hall was that I was watched over by four oil portraits of Stonyhurst old boys - each of whom had won the Victoria Cross. Stonyhurst is rightly proud of the service given by those students who have passed through its gates. A dinner, hosted by Lord Alton, ended a very happy day.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Bev Stokes said...

Lord Archer was a perfect guest for our 50th Anniversary Charity Lunch. His good humour,enthusiasm for cricket and his support for our Charity Day resulted in us raisng some £9000 for our local charities.
He did not ask nor receive a fee for speaking, in keeping with his general approach to all charitable activities.

10:37 PM  
Blogger essel1 said...

Dear Sir
As a proud Pakistani I am ashamed of the way Mr. Butt has said things he cant back up, but then why is it ok to call Pakistani's cheats without proof also. Scotland Yard has not completed their enquiry, and for Trott to call Wahab Riaz (the Pakistani fast bowler) a match fixer, and then going unpunished for it is hardly cricket also.
I still remember the comments made in 92 regarding Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram , that they were cheats etc (it was done by the English newspapers), and today Reverse Swing is considered an art.
So my lord what is sauce of the goose should be sauce for the gander also.... when Flintoff took of his shirt in India (during a victory celebration) it went unnoticed, but when India's Gangully did it at Lords, it was considered uncouth.
Double standards at their finest.
I remain one of your greatest fans, and have read most of your books so many times, i can probably quote them verbatim
Cheers
Sachal Lakhwani (essel1@yahoo.com)

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. A -

I entered my entry in your US contest today. If I somehow make the finals you will know by my remarks about Texas. As I've followed your posts for the past 20 days, I'm still cowered by the depth of your friends and experiences. I may be 20 years younger than you, but you still amaze me. I can only hope to be as exhilirating as you are when I'm your age. You're my hero.

LL in Texasw

5:17 AM  
Anonymous SNEHAL AZAD said...

GOD ARCHER U R GREAT .I"M A GREAT FAN OF YOURS.YOUR SHORT STORIES ARE THE BEST & NO ONE CAN COMPETE THEM.FROM A QUIVER FULL OF ARROWS TO & THEREBY.. IVE REEAD ALL.URE MY GOD.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Maddykart said...

Dear Mr. Jeffrey Archer,
I'm not exactly going to talk about your blog.....but instead I wish to talk about your truly brilliant novel 'Kane and Abel'. Well I know it is quite long past since you wrote that novel, but very unfortunately I was just previously informed about it by my father. You would have already heard enough praises about the book, while mine would be nothing but an addition to that. But I would be a little content if I knew that I had shown my appreciation to the writer who produced such a beautiful piece of art. I truly admire your way of writing and the book left me completely astounded. I am very much looking forward to reading the rest of your novels and short stories, for I’m certain it will also be equally splendid. Thanks again for introducing me to William and Abel.
One of your biggest fans=),
Madhuri (India)

5:50 AM  
Blogger krishnamoorthy said...

Dear Mr Archer
Test cricket is alive and kicking!
Your favourite VVS Laxman played another of his memorable innings in the thrilling one wicket victory in the first test against Australia!
Looks like he keeps his best for the Aussies.
One of the best quotes after the match was found in Twitter.
Gandhi's last words wre "Hey Ram". Ponting's will be "Hey Laxman!"

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home