Header
Header
Header
 


13 September 2010

Art, rugby and open house

A most enjoyable weekend began on Friday evening, with a visit to the Fitzwilliam Museum for the opening of their new exhibition, Epic of the Persian King: The Art of Ferdowsi's Shahnameh . It was reported in the press last week that Cambridge is now rated as the number one university in the world, but despite its 800 year history, you quickly realise this is not very long compared with the time-span of Iran.

The following day, I went to watch Cambridge Rugby Club play Cinderford, which resulted in a victory of 60 points to 12, which sent us to the top of the table. Although it's early in the season, I've never seen a better Cambridge side, and if they win against Barking next week, it will be interesting to see who will stop them being promoted at the end of this season. In the evening, Mary and I went to see Carrie's War at the Cambridge Arts Theatre, a story about a brother and sister who've been evacuated from London at the beginning of the Second World War, and have to adjust to life in a small Welsh mining town. It goes to Sheffield next week on its tour around the country, and I thoroughly recommend it as damned good story-telling, well-acted by a strong cast.

On Sunday, I had a visit from a group from Weston-super-Mare, who wanted to see the Old Vicarage, Grantchester. They arrived in a Baker's Bus, which reminded me I was at Christchurch Primary School with the grandfather of the present owner - but in those days they were known as 'Baker's Charabancs'. Mary gave a short talk on the history of the house and its association with Rupert Brooke, before I guided them around the statues in the garden. I returned to London late at night hoping to watch the final of the US Open, Nadal v Djokovic, only to find it was rained off - for the third year in a row. How Flushing Meadows must envy Wimbledon's roof over the main court. Still, although I'm going to the theatre tonight, I should be back in time to see the closing set. Will report on both tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

It is fun to read snippets of your life....thanks for sharing them with your readers and followers!

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home