And so the cricket season is over, and Pakistan should be taking off from Heathrow airport as I write this blog. I don't have a great deal to say about yesterday's match, other than Eoin Morgan's century and fielding were both quite remarkable, and with no disrespect to Andrew Strauss our distinguished captain, I would have given man of the series to Aamer Gul. However, I do have one grouse - it is the day/night game which has become farcical. I repeat, farcical. Nine times out of ten, the team that bats first, wins, because once the lights come on and the dew sets in, the side who bats second are at a distinct disadvantage. This was made even more clear when the former England captain, Mike Atherton, commented on Sky, "That was a good toss to win". In fact I wonder if anyone ever bats second by choice in a day/night game? The ECB and the ICC have a lot of problems on their minds at the moment, but this is one they should deal with fairly quickly before the crowds start staying away, because they know whoever wins the toss, wins the match.



1 Comments:
Jeffrey, Cricket has become too predictable these days. One dayers had lost its charm many years ago. Now even T-20 seems to be heading that way, probably too much cricket and not many real stars in the sense that outstanding talent with flamboyance and style like that of a Richards, Holding, Thompson etc.
Post a Comment
<< Home