Header
Header
Header
 


31 August 2010

Return to business

Mary and I returned from our holiday on Friday. We had a marvellous twelve days on Cunard's Queen Victoria which has replaced the QEII of which we both have such fond memories. This time we did a trip round the Mediterranean, taking in Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Livorno, Civitavecchia and Gibraltar. We also managed to pass through the Bay of Biscay both ways on an almost pond-like surface. Came back to 750 emails, which I will be ploughing through this week in an attempt to answer every one of them.

Among the many interesting comments from readers was one who pointed out that three Ebay sellers were offering my books for the Sony Reader, describing them as public domain material. My PA had forwarded this to my publishers, whose Anti-Piracy Officer took immediate action and issued take-down notices for all three sellers - who turned out to be one and the same. I'm grateful to the diligent reader who brought this to my attention. I only wish he could do something about pirated copies of my books in India.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Stephen MacLean said...

I’ve read that after Cunard and White Star merged in the mid-thirties—and even after the former bought out the latter in the mid-forties—‘White Star’ would still figure prominently in some part of the fleet’s vessels: perhaps in a lounge or restaurant, for example. Is this still the case?

3:47 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Stephen MacLean: I'm afraid I have no idea - I didn't notice any particular reference to White Star on the Queen Victoria.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous David said...

Hello Jeffrey

Just to answer Stephen's question. Cunard pride themselves on their customer service and they call it "White Star Service". In fact my son had to attend The White Star Academy on the Queen Mary before he was allowed to serve in the restuarant.

My wife and I were also on The Queen Victoria this summer and had a wonderful time.

Kind regards
David

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Stephen MacLean said...

Many thanks for the White Star update; as a Titanic ‘enthusiast’—and from Sir Samuel’s home province of Nova Scotia—I’ve long been interested in the intertwined history of these two transatlantic lines.

As we on the East Coast await the arrival of Hurricane Earl, I noted that Cunard issued this press release yesterday:

Queen Mary 2 will arrive in New York as scheduled tomorrow and will now remain in New York until 5:00 AM ET on Saturday, 4 September.

The call at Newport, Rhode Island has been cancelled and the ship will now proceed directly to Boston where she will arrive as scheduled.


An imperturbable, steady-as-she-goes policy for these heirs of a seafaring nation.

3:19 AM  
Anonymous Hari Nair, Bangalore, India said...

Every time I read your comment about selling of pirated copies under the traffic light in India, I feel some what, But I request you to consider lot of us, who buys only original books of yours with in couple of days after its release.

However I totally agree with you, defenitely something should be done to takecare of this pirated , sub standarded books being sold.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home