Header
Header
Header
 


10 August 2010

One Last Dance

Last night I went to see Terence Rattigan's play, After the Dance at the National Theatre, following so many recommendations, both from the professional critics and fellow theatre-goers. But when I arrived at the theatre and read that the show was three hours 15 minutes, I wondered if I'd be able to concentrate for the full production. But the critics were right. I was gripped from the moment the curtain rose, to the last line of this remarkable play. Many will have spoken about the fine acting of Benedict Cumberbatch and Nancy Carroll, but for me, Adrian Scarborough, playing the hedonistic John Reid, stole the show, and indeed received the largest round of applause at the end of the evening. However, it was an amazingly strong cast (26 actors on stage at one point); how many other theatres in the world could have contemplated such a production? Although it only has a couple of performances left, if you can get a ticket, grab it.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Doyal Mallik said...

Is it really you or is it someone else...i mean the jeffrey archer who wrote as the crow flies or someone else...pl i need t6o know coz m a die hard fan!!

12:06 PM  
Blogger owais gora said...

That What i m wanna know Doyal! is it really Jeffrey archer? (i hope it is).i m crazy about his books.he's undoutedly one of the greatest storyteller of all time!!
i love him!!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Doyal and Owais: Many thanks for your posts. Yes, this is the author, Jeffrey Archer's, blog. He also has a website, www.jeffreyarcher.com Regards, Jeffrey's PA.

7:52 AM  
Blogger catman2007 said...

I do agree about the National theatre. Many of their productions include special effects that could not be replicated elsewhere. The ticket prices are real value for money too..I try to get a £10 ticket if I can, and it is worth going just for the effects alone. In the case of 'One Last Dance', the opening few minutes will stay with me for ever..the butler opening the curtains and the daylight flooding in. One of those 'wow' moments!
Have just booked for your visit to the
Hampstead & Highgate Literary Festival . Will be bringing along my copy of Thereby Hangs a tale. Hopefully I can get it signed. Peter Mandelson signed my copy of his fascinatimng book at a session in Leeds!

5:01 PM  
Blogger ajithrindia said...

Hi, I've started reading your books with "to cut a long story short" recently, and I was stunned. I never thought such a well-read author might use such simple and easy-to-understand English. Thanks to you for that :).

2:28 AM  
Blogger ajithrindia said...

finished reading "to cut a long story short"... I've been reading books like that of Dixon and Blyton, and I thought the transition to more mature books would be difficult. Beginning with your books I think was a good choice, they're in simple language and easy to comprehend. The plots are genius, there's a flow to the writing. Will read you alone for months, I'm sure :-)

2:57 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

John - many thanks - yes, Jeffrey will be happy to sign your book at the Hampstead & Highgate Literary Festival on 21st September. Regards, Jeffrey's PA.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home