Header
Header
Header
 


02 July 2010

The place to eat

Last night I found a new restaurant, or to be more accurate, it found me. Tempo on Curzon Street, has been opened by my dear friend, Henry Togna, who built a great reputation in the industry as proprietor of No.22 Jermyn Street, one of the finest boutique hotels in the land. However, when the lease finally came to an end last year and the Crown Estates reclaimed their property, Henry was left high and dry. But not for long. This enterprising hotelier decided to open his own restaurant, and Henry himself is there to welcome you as he performs the role of Maitre d' and proprietor in a way only the Italians can. And I suspect like all great restaurants, the reason one returns again and again, is because you enjoy the company of your host - classic examples, Jesus at Le Caprice and Gian Lucio at Lucio's. Actually I don't think it's officially opened yet, so I went to what you might call a preview, with the discerning and critical Chris Beetles. The menu is Italian, hardly surprising as Henry is an Italian himself, and full of super pastas and dishes you would associate with Tuscany. The wine was particularly well chosen, and more pleasing, at a sensible price. I am biased of course, but will be a regular visitor, and not just because Henry's a close friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home