Header
Header
Header
 


18 June 2010

Old Boys and Old Masters

Attended my Old Boys (Wellington School, Somerset) lunch at the RAF Club in Piccadilly yesterday. The guest speaker was that magnificent actor, David Suchet. He told us that he looked upon himself as a character actor, and because of his looks he could never hope to be a Hollywood sex symbol. He admitted to regretting this, but at the same time, after a decade at the Royal Shakespeare Company, and at the other end of the scale, the success of Poirot, he said he was in no position to complain. David is currently performing in All My Sons with Zoe Wanamaker at the Apollo Theatre, which has received rave reviews, and I'm much looking forward to seeing in a fortnight's time.

In the evening, I went to Christies to view their Masterpieces exhibition, ahead of their forthcoming Impressionist sales. There was a time when I could afford to buy Impressionist paintings, but the prices have become so exorbitant, that I can now only afford the frames. There was a Picasso at £40m, a Monet at £30m and a Matisse at £20m, but the winner for me was a magnificent Rubens, a snip at £12m. I crossed the road to enjoy the Chris Beetles Summer Show, which has some remarkable pictures ranging from £5,000 to £25,000, and is well worth a visit.

I'm off to Majorca today to do the next draft, to be accurate the next three drafts, of Only Time Will Tell, which is the first volume in the five book series of the story of Harry Clifton in The Clifton Chronicles. The first is all but finished, and should be with the publishers in two or three weeks time, hopefully to be published in May 2011. I'll be watching the England match tonight, as I don't start work until 6am tomorrow morning, but I won't be blogging again until Wednesday 30th.

4 Comments:

Anonymous S Goater said...

Wishing you well with your 'read through' before publishing.

I have written to your PA (who has my details). I totally understand you are very busy but would like time to speak with you, to suit at your convenience.

Kind regards for the intrusion.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir

Have just finished reading book Kane & Able, what a smashing book to read. A pal of mine said he thought it was the first in a series, please advise on the next book of yours to read

4:42 PM  
Blogger krishnamoorthy said...

Dear Mr Archer
I just finished reading "And thereby hangs the tale"
Sorry to tell you its a disappoitment
No patch on your early works which included gems like "perfect murder" , "the chess game" "the skiing accident" etc
Sorry for being blunt but this is my honest feeling

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear mister archer,
you may not be interested but your books , that i loved in english, are very poorly translated in italian... i our language all you humour is wasted and the reading has no taste at all.
regard

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home