Header
Header
Header
 


14 June 2010

An early start

On Sunday, I returned to London to do Andrew Pierce's LBC radio show, and expressed the view that for me hasn't changed since election day, I would have preferred Cameron to have led a minority party in the Commons, which I believe Labour and Liberal together would have been embarassed to bring down, for fear the British people would not want another election. Harold Wilson, former Labour Prime Minister, goverened for several months without the Conservatives or the Liberals daring to bring him down, and when he eventually called an election, he won by over a hundred seats. Nevertheless, it was clear from the listeners calling in to the programme, that there's a lot of good will for Cameron and Clegg, and a desire for them to succeed. Amen to that.

In the evening, I went to the Royal Opera House to conduct an auction on behalf of the Oxford Philomusica. One of the auction items was the privilege to be able to conduct the orchestra, and the person who bid the highest was Michael Parkinson - £500. He gave a bravura performance, which was greeted with the loudest acclamation of the evening. But being a Yorkshireman, he refused to pay the £500, saying he'd enjoyed himself so much that he wanted to pay £5,000 instead, which was greeted by even louder applause. I only wish you could see it on Youtube, it was hilarious. There were some exciting Lots, not least having Raymond Blanc, the great chef, coming to your home and cooking for 12 of you, with Maestro Marios Papadopoulos, and Priya Mitchell, the distinguished violinist, giving a recital after the meal. This went for £31,000 and in all, the auction raised £152,250. Auctions have been down a little this year, so it was very pleasing to have beaten last year's sum of £85,000 so comfortably. The Oxford Philomusica is not only a magnificent orchestra, but the money is raised to assist really talented students reach a prfossional standard, and some of the young pianists and violinists we were privileged to see on a video, may have been the reason people were so generous. A fantastic evening.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave Moore said...

Hello Jeffrey,
I was one of the callers on Sunday and thank you for taking my call. We spoke about rehabilitation and my experience since leaving the slammer. Although I spent a couple of years in Wandsworth, it was convenient for my family and I became the Education 'red-band' after 18 months, I spent the final year at Latchmere House. I did mean to ask you this question:
How do you write? I read somewhere that you use a particular kind of black felt pen and notebook and write in longhand first. I wondered, after the advent of iPad, laptops and all manner of IT equipment you still write your first draft in that manner.
I have just completed reading A Prisoner of Birth and wonder if a company has approached you because it would make a terrific movie.
Thanks again and congratulations on your continued success.
Best regards to you and your family

David Moore

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home