Header
Header
Header
 


26 May 2010

A view of the sea

I am currently in Majorca completing the ninth draft of Only Time Will Tell, the first volume of The Clifton Chronicles. I normally don't break my routine to post a blog, but yesterday I learned from my friends in India that And Thereby Hangs a Tale had gone to No.1 in the Bestseller list, a feat they claim has never been achieved for short stories other than by R K Narayan. The real surprise came a few hours later when my agent rang to say that the book would be No.1 on the Sunday Times Bestseller List this week, which even I hadn't expected for a collection of short stories. It makes me want to remind all my readers, if you haven't read R K Narayan, perhaps you should start now - it's never too late. Back to work.

15 Comments:

Blogger S D Goater said...

Excellent news.
Well Done.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to say how much pleasure you give me reading your books. I can relate to some of the people you write about in your "CAT o NINE TAILS" in my line of work, which i am currently reading. Hope the weathers nice in Mallorca as i go very soon with my family. Keep up the good work your not doing to bad at 70 years young.

8:08 PM  
Blogger SUNDEEP KUMAR said...

Its so nice of you recommending R.K. Narayan, a very good Indian writer. No longer alive, he too wrote beautiful stories in English. In India he is often compared with Russian writer Chekov. Eagerly awaiting your next book. Wish you a very good health and long life.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Shucks!!! I missed it !!! While u were here, i was engrossed in Kane & Abel... This is the 1st time I'm writing to any author... The book is fantastic... I was so engrossed in the book that I had tears rolling down my cheeks towards the end for wat happens to Kane. Which disturbed me too.
You are too gud... and trust me i'm going to be reading all the Titles in the forthcoming months.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Mr. Archer

I started reading your books 30 years ago with Kane and Able. I have since read 3 or 4 others. I just finished Prisoner of Birth.

I have resolved that by summers end I will have read everything you have ever written!

Keep them coming.

Andrew Ross

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i simply luv ur tales...waiting 2 read and thereby hangs a tale...

7:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mr.Archer,i say again "Its not a surprise about your achievement.Afterall,you are the best".As for R.K.Narayanan's books,i happened to have read 'Swami And Friends'.I also remember watching a TV program 'Malgudi Days' years ago (8 or 9 yrs).

-KJ

6:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jeffrey just to say I absolutely love your books. I'm only 20 and didn't really like reading until I read First Among Equals. I have since read all of yours and was wondering when your next full-length novel may be out? Have you any in the pipe line? Thanks again.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from Khandami Rafreeshamani

Greetings o great scriber and teller of tales and yarms. I see you have finally broken the Indian marker dear Lord. I see you are number one in UK and India, and maybe America two.

Areeba Areeba, I dance for your successes.

Oh, I wish for the talents of your self. I have an idea for a book, where can i send it so you can publish kind. I will send outline and you can complete. 50-50 share, you and i.

What do you say?

7:53 PM  
Blogger Lisa J Donaldson said...

Many congratulations on the No. 1 spot - though I didn't doubt it would get there for a second. It is a wonderful collection.

Am thrilled to hear you are writing a series now. If you should ever want another proof-reader, let me know! I would do it for pleasure.

My current favourite book is Paths of Glory - what a cracking story; and my eldest daughter (who is 12) loved it too. (Her classmates are catching up quick now!) Take care.
Lisa xx

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Param Vyas said...

Congratulations Sir.The stories were absolutely splendid.

Looking forward to the Clifton Chronicles.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jeffrey Archer,
Congratulations for a very obivious result,topping the list, about your book And there by hangs a tale.You have indirectly helped me became a star personality in my office since I keep on reading your books on shOrt tales and keep them telling in office. No doubt they are all impressed they way the story is potraited.
Looking forward for a powerful Book like Kane and Abel
I definetly believe what Daily Telegraph has once said "IF THERE WERE A NOBEL PRIZE FOR STORY TELLING, ARCHER WOULD WIN"

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Rowan said...

Hi Jeffrey,

Hope all is good in Majorca. My wife Ania has asked that you please finish off "Only time will tell" ASAP as we will be on holiday in August and she needs to read it, an un-proofed manuscript would be fine too.

Thanks
Rowan

7:54 AM  
Blogger anasua pal said...

am a great admirer of your literary skills...i would like to share with you something...last week when i was out on the streets i met a young boy crying and pleading his parents to buy him your latest book" and thereby hangs a tale"..till then i had no clue about your works...i went over and picked the book up and asked the lady to buy him the book because i feel reading books helps grow knowledge...and in india people who reads books are held in high esteem!the lady turned to me and said that due to their poor economic conditions it is not possible for her to buy english books. so, on that circumstance i only had 1thing to do...i bought the book for myself and asked the child to comeover to my place and borrow whichever book he wants.after 2 days he returned the book and i read it. believe it or not..since then i have become your greatest fan..since last week i have finished reading,prisoners of birth,paths of glory, cat o nine tales, and am on with false impression. thank you a lot for letting me indulge in your beautifull world of story telling.

6:06 AM  
Blogger OzziePom said...

I have just finished Prisoner of Birth. Excellent read. So often I pick books up at fetes etc and at face value they look interesting, but most are like watching paint dry. Your books never fail to hold the imagination, and like all your others this was no exception. However, would have liked to 'see' Craig and Payne squirm a little!
Great work. Thank you.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home