Header
Header
Header
 


11 May 2010

Four days in India

I've just returned from a wonderful trip to Mumbai to open the new Landmark bookstore: 40,000 square feet on one floor, 150,000 original titles, as well as a music section, games area and reading room. Quite fantastic. We launched And Thereby Hangs a Tale in Mumbai, so that India was a week ahead of the rest of the world. The result has been that the British edition has gone into its third re-print before publication date on Friday. My thanks to all those Indians, not only for buying the book, but also for Tweeting about it. Provisionally, I'll be returning to India in March next year to open a new Landmark store in Calcutta, to coincide with the launch of Volume One of The Clifton Chronicles, Only Time Will Tell. Further briefings as we get nearer the date, as a lot depends on whether Landmark will have the building completed by March.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Momoko said...

Hello, Mr. Archer,

I'm Japanese woman and a big fan of you! I love all of your books.
Some of them are not translated into Japanese yet, so I buy the original books through on-line shop or major bookstores in Tokyo.
I'd like tell you that I found the Graff jewery shop at the Peninsular Hotel Tokyo last autumn.
So far,I didn't know the Graff is existent. I thought it was your creation for the story. I was very pleased and entered the Graff.
Inside the Graff was very gorgeous, beautiful and full of dignity. Clerks were very polite and showed me some jeweries. (unfotrunately they were not affordable for me. :-p )
I asked one clerk if he had ever read "Cheap at the half price" before. The clerk answered "No." I explained the clerk that a famous English writer Jeffrey Archer wrote about Mr.Laurence Graff in his novel.

I think "TWELVE RED HERRINGS" translated in Japanese, which includes "Cheap at the half price", is not available in Japan now, isn't it? I want to send the book to the Graff at the Peninsular Tokyo. In my opinion, they should read it. It must be the best material for educating staff. :-)

I'm looking forward to reading your latest book!
Thank you!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mr.Archer, I'm currently reading 'And Thereby Hangs A Tale'.Its just brilliant.Read the first 10 short stories.I loved 'Stuck on you', 'The queen's birthday telegram' and 'Blind date'.Awesome. Sir will you be visiting Kerala anytime soon? Must check out 'God's Own Country'.ee :).Take Care.

-KJ

7:22 PM  
Blogger Aniruddh said...

This is great news, Lord Archer, and I can only hope that you visit Chennai some time soon. Even now, cannot stop laughing when I hear the promo you did for Chennai Live (the English FM station in Chennai)..."where's my ten thousand cash" is priceless !

2:38 AM  
Blogger SN said...

Very excited! I will buy a copy this weekend!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mr. Archer,

I am so thankful that people on this earth, like you, have been blessed with the skill of writing and story telling. Touching people's lives in such a wonderful way is an envious position to be in. Thank you for choosing to share your talent with the rest of the world. You are my favorite author and I tell everyone to read your books. First book I read was Kane and Abel and you had me hooked. I wish you continued inspiration and can't wait to read your latest novel. Let the magic continue to flow!

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Amrita said...

Hello Jeffrey,

I have read all the novels and short stories you have published till date; and I was eagerly waiting for 'And Thereby Hangs A Tale'

Well, I have got a copy of it ...haven't read all the stories as yet but so far "Blind Date" is my favorite.

With regards,
Amrita
India

10:13 AM  
Blogger Varun said...

I am yet to come out of the hangover after reading your latest offering 'And thereby hangs a tale'. Wonderfully scripted, fast paced, Indomitable characterization, just makes a classic read. Each story is so Individualistic, that the reader would be able to recollect the intracasies given the names of the charecters..just facinating.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Varun said...

'And thereby hangs a tale' is just wonderful, classic, unmatchable characterization, distinctive storylines..simply facinating...

1:14 PM  
Blogger Dustedoff said...

Mr Archer, I love your books and have read most of them - novels as well as short stories. You're a superb writer. One question, though: when you set a story in a locale other than the UK, how much research goes into it? I've just finished reading Caste-Off from Thereby Hangs a Tale, and found myself squirming with embarrassment to find one of my favourite authors making mistakes that nobody who knew India would have made:

1. 'danced seven times around Pheras' - pheras are the seven circuits of the sacred flame; nobody ever dances 'around them'. It's very solemn, and the circuits themselves are called pheras.

2. Getting married at the High Court - No, you don't. In Delhi at least (and I'm pretty sure across India too), if you do need to get married in a court, it's done at a lower level court - a district court, for instance. And you can't get married at the drop of a hat. You need to apply a month in advance.

3. Theatre, ballet and opera - Delhi does have theatre, but ballet and opera are unknown. At a pinch, you could call performances of traditional dances like Manipuri ballet, but opera? No.

Other less obvious examples: the clerk at the luxury hotel calls Jamwal 'sahib': doesn't happen. Even doormen say 'sir' at a luxury hotel. And Silpa, as a name, is sort of weird. Shilpa, yes; not Silpa.

Not trying to needle you at all - I really, really, like your writing a lot. Just some feedback... and if you need a 'India proofer', I'd love to offer my services!

6:11 AM  
Blogger Varun said...

I fully agree to Madhulika's views about the factual errors or the casualness in mentioning something like 'Dancing' around the saat pheras...infact the name Silpa too sounded odd..as the in India Shilpa is a better known version..but the overall characterization, scene description and the plot totally overshadowded these errors..

11:31 AM  
Blogger SAMI RAFIQ said...

Hello Mr. Archer

I am a reader from Aligarh Muslim University Aligarh India. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading And Thereby Hangs a Tale. I have also been reading your other works. Hope you can plan a promotion tour to Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh.
Wish you all the best for your future works.
PS. I am myself a writer plus a teacher and have so much to learn from your story telling art.

Dr.(Mrs.) Sami Rafiq

3:34 PM  
Blogger anasua pal said...

hello sir,
am an indian girl writing from kolkata(calcutta). as you have mentioned that you will be coming here next march...we are super happy.we are all looking forward to your visit.

thank you
yours sincerely,
anasua

6:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

To,
Lord Archer,

I have finished reading your Short stories from Thereby hangs a tale.It's one of the best books you have written. This book is absolutely marvelous and breath taking. No doubt you are the greatest writer of this decade in fiction. I am eagerly waiting for your Calcutta visit. I hope we all get to catch you in Calcutta.

May you keep thrilling us and entertaining us with more mind bending stories.

You 're the best.

With warm wishes

Kaustav Bakshi
Calcutta, India.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved Madhulika's Comments....especially the last line :D

4:27 AM  
Blogger Indira Valson said...

God! I never even heard about the your new novel just goes to show the advance publicity ahs been poor esp in a Jeffery archer loving nation like India . shall buy your book next when I go to Landmark,
Higginbothams

10:14 AM  
Anonymous indira.valson said...

Love all your books looking fwd to reading the Clifon chronicles.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Jeffrey,
You are a fantastic writer and I look forward reading everything that you have to write.
You certainly are a master craftsman with words and it's a privilege to read what you have to say..

Karthik.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Varsha said...

Hello Lord Archer!

Its a pleasure to read your books, always and now I am currently reading And thereby Hangs a Tale....Nice indeed. I wanted to say EXACTLY the same things that Madhulika has... except that you can get married at a drop of the hat but you need to bribe a lot of people for that...

And yes, a person is not steeped in the "Hindi tradition" Hindi is a language. Jamwal's father may be steeped in the Marwadi Tradition, or Rajput Tradition or even plain Indian Tradition but not Hindi tradition.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home