Header
Header
Header
 


19 March 2010

Tea for eight

Last night I attended the annual British Antique Dealers' Association dinner where they had designated Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research as their benefiting charity. Alastair Campbell was the main speaker, having himself completed a marathon and a triathlon in aid of this particular charity. One of the auction items was tea for six people at The Wolseley with Alastair and myself as the hosts. I suggested to Alastair that if it was after May 6th, Gordon Brown might like to join us as he wouldn't have much else to do. I don't recall his exact response, so I'll not attempt to paraphrase, other than to say he didn't agree with me. Someone generously paid £4,000 for the privilege of having tea with us, and the auction made £30,000 in all.

I'm disappearing for a month on another writing session, but will report back towards the end of April when I will be preparing for the launch of And Thereby Hangs a Tale a set of 15 short stories that will be published on May 21st.

14 Comments:

Blogger Musicolor said...

Mr Archer,

Wishing you all the very best sir. I am eagerly looking forward to the new release. I loved your earlier books of short stories like Twist in the Tale and A Quiver Full of Arrows.

2:38 PM  
Blogger the gusty winds said...

yeah yeah... can't wait for your next release..!!
quiver full of arrows was amazing!

9:42 PM  
Anonymous HIRH said...

Mr Archer, would you mind completing the sentence that I found a long time ago from one of yours books. I forgot the whole sentence. It begins with " ... a fool leaves university with degree, a wise man with ......" Thank you and wish you the very best.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

HIRH - the sentence ends "...a wise man with an education."

11:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mr Archer,
I am an amatuer reader and had been recommended to read A Prisoner of Birth which was so amazing, i realised from that moment that i am going to follow a lot of your books from then on.Out of the many stories i read..i stumbled upon A Matter of Honour recently, but today when i finished it i am left with a little bit of doubt here and there! Would be really kind of you if you clear them the next time i visit your bolg..until then wish you the very best for your new book and best regards...

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Nicholas said...

Mr Archer,

Wishing all the very best. My finacee, Vivienne, and I really enjoy reading your books and we have read many of your books including the earlier classics like Kane and Abel to the recent ones like False Impression, A Prisoner of Birth and Paths of Glory. Vivienne especially enjoys reading the romantic letters in Paths of Glory, especially the last letter which she read, and cried over, numerous times. We have read many bestsellers written by many authors, but it is Paths of Glory which we felt really touched our hearts. We are really looking forward to see your newer books turned into films, although we fear that the films won't do justice to the books! We are getting married on 10 Oct 2010 and I have been thinking for a long time how to make that day extra special. I can't think of a better way than suprising her with a few words/wishes from you. If that is possible, I would be very very grateful.

Thank you for writing all these beautiful stories.

Warmest regards
Nicholas

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord Archer...

I'm currently reading the first volume of ur prison diary and well....it seems that u had quite an 'experience' in belmarsh...Nevertheless gr8 commentary...somewhat like an Anne Frank Diary save for no Nazi's hunting u...though Mr. Potts could be one...Just kidding...gr8 commentary...And Best of Luck for Thereby Hangs A Tale....Surely will better ur other short stories

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have also done a marathon for charity - in my case for Cancer Research. It hurt.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Donna Taylor said...

From the USA..Will you be doing any book signings in the US? Your writing is unique, entertaining and actually educational in a broadening way. Thank you!

2:20 PM  
Blogger Donna Taylor said...

Mr. Archer,

Your writing is entertaining and enlightening. Because of your considerable discipline, research and enormous talent your writing is entertaining AND enlightening. Thank you. Will you be speaking in the USA at some point?
Thank you again for sharing your words and your thoughts.

2:26 PM  
Blogger greenriver said...

Mr Archer
As the crow flies my favorite book of all time.
I cant wait for new releases here in Canada.
All the best
David

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord Archer...

I am currently reading Prison Diary II and your shower problems in Wayland gave me a dream last night where I went to the bathroom but couldn't shower and I was removed out of the bathroom by someone...real spooky!!!!!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Life's last odd said...

Mr Archer,

You have been successful in creating generation after generations of new readers. I've been reading your books since i was 16 (am 29 now). As a big fan, im eagerly looking forward to your latest offering of short stories. All the best!

George

1:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mr Archer, the first book I read of yours is Kane And Abel and it has been the most magnificent book i have ever read since. The characters have been portreyed so well that i could make out a little bit of Kane and Abel in many others books of yours namely Sons Of Fortune, The Fourth Estate etc. Its amazing. I'm highly obliged to have read your books, understand morals and be a part of your era! Thank you sir.

-KJ

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home