Some very strange things pass as entertainment today, and watching England play Scotland at rugby football is not among them. My wife claims that I fell asleep during the second half. I pointed out last week that John Inverdale said that he would rather see England lose 37-35 and all of us be entertained, than, dare I say, draw, 15 all, and fall asleep. Modern sport is entertainment, nothing more and nothing less. Yes, of course I want my country to win, but I enjoy watching Federer play tennis, Tendulkar score a century, and eagerly anticipate the return of Tiger Woods. Gone are the days when I was a child and one rejoyced in England beating Wales three nil by one penalty. The rugby officials daring to charge £80 to watch this rubbish is nothing more than daylight robbery.
In contrast, Mary and I went to see Private Lives at the Vaudeville Theatre on Saturday evening, tickets £50 each, and we were royally entertained by Miss Cattrall and Mr MacFadyen, who deserved their full house to watch this rollicking, 1930s farce. Tonight I am going to Love Never Dies at the Adelphi . The critics have been fairly cruel to Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest production, but nowhere near as tough as the sports journalists were this morning when discussing England's efforts at Murrayfield.
In contrast, Mary and I went to see Private Lives at the Vaudeville Theatre on Saturday evening, tickets £50 each, and we were royally entertained by Miss Cattrall and Mr MacFadyen, who deserved their full house to watch this rollicking, 1930s farce. Tonight I am going to Love Never Dies at the Adelphi . The critics have been fairly cruel to Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest production, but nowhere near as tough as the sports journalists were this morning when discussing England's efforts at Murrayfield.



2 Comments:
"Modern sport is entertainment, nothing more and nothing less." That reminds me, I'm selling my one-year old guitar and the advertisement I've put up on my workplace website reads, "Guitar for sale: Rs. 2000/- only, not a penny more, not a penny less." I enjoyed reading that book very much!
By 'rejoyced', did you mean 'rejoiced'?
Ah! Now I understand! It is 'rejoyced' indeed! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home