Header
Header
Header
 


05 March 2010

Green and pleasant land

Last night I went to see Jerusalem at the Apollo, and first I must make it clear that I am an investor in this production (an angel). The play won the Evening Standard Drama Award and the lead actor, Mark Rylance, has not only won virtually every award available this year, but has been variously described as the actor of the decade, and the greatest stage presence since Olivier.

Let me start with Mr Rylance's performance, which by any standards was monumental. Not only is he on stage for three and a half hours, displaying the energy of a teenager, but on Wednesdays and Saturdays he gives two performances. It will certainly go down in my memory as one of the single greatest performances I've seen in a fifty year love affair with the theatre. The only recommendation I would make to those of you who have tickets (it has a million pound advance and only another 7 weeks to run), is to rest before you go to the performance - don't go tired from work. It's three and a half hours and Mr Rylance deserves your full attention.

5 Comments:

Blogger the gusty winds said...

that's great!..worth seeing i suppose..! but don't u think nowadays people are more bound towards muvies in multiplexes than theatres(the original thing!)... but still it feels good to see some 'theatre freaks!' still existing!.....

7:14 AM  
Blogger the gusty winds said...

hello sir,
er..though it hasn't got anything to do with your post.. actually i am clueless about where to tell you this thing..so am saying it here..
sir, one of your books 'not a penny more , not a penny less' is 'the awesome'! actually i don't have any idea about stock market and shares stuffs! but still it's gripping flow made me read it completely without any kind of 'i-didn't-get-it'! absolutely amazing!!!kudos to you!!(my course books are really jealous of your books! i don't bother to open them!!!)...

6:02 PM  
Blogger krishnamoorthy said...

Dear Mr Archer
Continuing the Sachin saga
Here is the latest news
"ICC Announced That Sachin Tendulkar's Birthday on April 24 will be Celebrated as "World Cricket Day"
Let the debate begin :)

10:33 AM  
Blogger the gusty winds said...

thats' cool!but i don't like cricket! can anyone give concrete reasons to like cricket?i mean i think it's quite hyped(without any reason!)why so much cricket frenzyness?!!n also convince the fact that sachin is god!!(the way he's being worshipped now!!)........

7:16 PM  
Blogger Frances Gibbs said...

I Have just finished reading 'A Prisoner of Birth', which I must say. That once again could not put down. It was the most exciting and intriguing book I have ever read of Jefrey Archer. What a great Author to keep one in suspense and emotionally drained all the way through. Please Please turn it into a film for the people who cannot read. They are missing so much and I for one would love to see it on the big screen.
Am now looking for my next read.
P.S. took me only four days in between all other things I have to do and for the first time in a long while I read in bed and into the mornings.
Mrs. Frances Gibbs

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home