Yesterday I went to the Henry Moore exhibition at Tate Britain, which concentrates on his work up until the 1960s. It's a remarkable exhibition, and I learnt two things about Moore that I didn't know before: he was the official Second World War artist - which indeed made his name - and his drawings of Londoners sleeping in the London underground stations are incredibly moving, and almost not believable until you see them in front of your own eyes. Secondly, I hadn't realised the number of mediums he worked in: concrete, marble, bronze, and several different types of wood. He was willing to try sculpting from almost anything. The whole exhibition ends in a room housing four massive reclining figures in Elm.
Another interesting feature is his use of string or wire in a sculpture, but I couldn't find anyone to tell me if it was Barbara Hepworth or Henry Moore who was the first to make this bold, innovative move. All in all, a fantastic exhibition and thoroughly recommended. 4 stars.
Another interesting feature is his use of string or wire in a sculpture, but I couldn't find anyone to tell me if it was Barbara Hepworth or Henry Moore who was the first to make this bold, innovative move. All in all, a fantastic exhibition and thoroughly recommended. 4 stars.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home