Header
Header
Header
 


17 December 2009

Live the Dream

Last night I attended the Rio Ferdinand bash at Old Billingsgate, to launch his foundation, Live the Dream. It was a lavish evening, and the punters certainly got value for money, with a line-up including JLS and The Saturdays. The auction raised £253,000, and the best items were a fully-inclusive trip for two to South Africa next year to see every game in the world cup (£50,000), tea with Elton John at his home in Windsor with a private view of his art gallery (£22,000), and a day with David Haye, the new World Heavyweight Boxing Champion, and four ringside seats at the next championship fight plus a car to take you there and back. He wowed the audience when he assisted me with the auction, and raised £20,000. The money will go to help disadvantaged young people to achieve their ambition, through education, training and support programmes in deprived communities. What struck me most about Mr Ferdinand was his deep sincerity and passion to make this work, because as he told us, he himself was one of those children 20 years ago. I left just after the auction, at 1.00am, heaven knows what time it ended.

22 Comments:

Blogger SN said...

How much would I buy the item - an exclusive lunch with Jeffrey Archer - for?

2:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sir,
U r an amazin writer.. must hav heard dat arnd 6 billion* 15 times... but ur books keep me hooked.. keep writin

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i& my brother luv ur books ur 1 of d greatest writers hv ever known i've only read false expressions out of all d books u've written

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats great Lord A!!

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as necessary.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord Archer,

Compliments of the season to you and your family. All your fans are waiting for another Kane and Abel or Not a penny more, not a penny less like novel. Ground breaking and beyond par excellence. Hope the new year brings you alot of prosperity and lots of cherishable moments. Happy writing, dear Lord!

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Jeffrey Archer Fansite said...

Happy New Year sir! :)

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was reported recently that your Prison Diaries are coming to the stage in 2010. Having read all the diaries..I would be interested to know more about this? I was thrown into HMP Wormwood Scrubs last year on false evidence....but does the system give a fig?
Additionally, Jeffrey have you read Erwin James(Monaghan)'s books or Jonathan Aitken's?
Happy New Year!!!!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jeff

I'm South Afican (Cape Town) and just finished your latest Novel - "Paths of Glory"
was epic stuff! When will you be aiming to release your next masterpiece?

FIFA WORLD CUP 2010 is around the corner.. Excitement brewing!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jeff

From Cape Town South Africa..

I just finished your latest novel.. "Paths of glory" Was epic stuff!!

When do you plan on releasing your next masterpiece ??

Best Regards,

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good evening,
You are and will remain (in my opinion) an amazing writer.

Thankyou, my evenings with any of your works keep methroughly entertained no matter how many times I read them. Please write some more!!!!!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Vineet said...

Happy New Year Sir.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Vajresh Balaji said...

Hi sir
Do you remember Im the small boy who asked u a large question in ur Chennai Landmark 2nd tour on May 24 2008
now I have my own blog http://booksofvajresh.blogspot.com
bvajresh@rediffmail.com
HOPE U REMEMBER ME SIR

5:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy New Year Lord Archer & looking forward to all your exciting blogs to brighten up my life! It's the wine speaking...but wish you would loose the suit - green jacket doesn't work so well. you're much too handsome to not have a more attractive photo on your website. Let your sons pick out a 'new look'.

By the by, have you read the short stories by Morgan Robertson? I enjoyed the "Futility" and "The Pirates" - great for airplane travel(so when I get to my destination I don't ignore my hosts). I'm convinced short-stories are a real challenge and of course, you're the best! Anxiously awaiting the next!
BOSTON

2:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Prison diaries are coming to the stage? Wow! Would I like to see that! As I've given your diaries to lots of people with the preface, "This isn't just the British system, but these things actually exist in Canada, the US and Australia, Here's the 411 on the Prison Systems!"
BOSTON

2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just finished your book ' Paths of Glory ' which was the very first of your novels I have read! It enthralled me so much that it has ignited my interest in George Mallory and the rest of the climbing team.
My only experince of climbing is a few modest hills amounting to 3,000 feet in the Lake District. A wonderful, inspiring book.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I inclination not agree on it. I assume polite post. Specially the title attracted me to read the whole story.

3:27 AM  
Blogger shanerobert007 said...

Well Lord Archer I think it's a real shame that in the UK we can not support everything young people want to do. I blame the government and the health and safey. When we were little we had no of this and are we bad people. NO.
Anyway you keep writing it's always a plesure reading the blog. So more please.

12:58 PM  
Blogger krishnamoorthy said...

dear mr archer
watch the new movie from hindi cinema
its called 3 idiots
english subtitle must be available
am sure you will enjoy it

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting article about you starting a 5 book chronicle set in Bristol. I have connections to the Harvey family and am a Bristolian of many generations. I might have some information of interest.

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home