Header
Header
Header
 


10 December 2009

Jingle all the way

For the past week, I've been putting the final touches to And Thereby Hangs a Tale before I handed it in to the publishers on Friday; always a stressful weekend waiting to find out how they feel about it, but one that was fully occupied.

I conducted an auction for hedge fund charities at Banqueting House on Thursday evening (raising £32,000), and went to a Carol service at St Paul's Knightsbridge on Friday night, where Mary read the lesson. On Saturday, I was in Cambridge to see my rugby team beat Wharfedale 28-21 in a very exciting match, which keeps them in third place in the table. In the evening, Mary and I went to see George Bernard Shaw's Mrs Warren's Profession at the Arts Theatre, starring Felicity Kendal and David Yelland, and I realised for the first time that the story of three men, any one of whom might be the father of a loose woman's daughter, is now playing in the West End under the guise of Mamma Mia! George Bernard Shaw can therefore add to his already successful list of musicals that he never saw in his lifetime.

On Monday and Tuesday Mary and I held our champagne and shepherd's pie parties, where once again the choir (Tenebrae) stole the show, and set the Christmas season off with a bang.

Last night, I was unable to attend Lady Thatcher's Christmas party because of a long-standing commitment to give away the prizes to The Royal British Legion Youth Band in Brentwood. The band, run by John Wyndham MBE, is over 40 in strength, many of them under the age of 20, while others have been members of the band for 15 years. The drill hall was packed out for the concert and presentations. What an amazing example of service to one's local community they are, and the band deserved every one of the plaudits it received last night from the Mayor, and the cheers from the local community. The money raised at the event went to Help for Heroes, and I left to catch the train back to London feeling better for having met Mr Wyndham and his band of merry men - and women.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Felicity Kendall don't you? As for Lady Ts bash - I am sure lots of people showed up...

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home