Yesterday, I attended my first Advent service at St Michael's Church, Chester Square. The service was hosted by Lord Griffiths of Fforestfach, in support of Christian Responsibility in Public Affairs. The address was given by General Sir Richard Dannatt GCB CBE MC, who has just retired as the senior officer in the British Army. He spoke of our troops in Afghanistan facing Christmas and the dilemma of whether God approved of them killing their enemies. The General - a muscular Christian and a firm believer in God -was in no doubt that our troops stood on the moral high ground, although he understood the problems of a young private soldier who'd killed someone for the first time and had sleepless nights ever since. I came away from the service thinking more deeply about our role in Afghanistan, than I have after reading thousands of column inches in the newspapers. Perhaps because when it's told to you by someone who has stood on the battlefront, it carries that much more conviction.



4 Comments:
Just discovered your website and blog. Although an educationalist by trade, I would NEVR choose to read as a pastime - except a Jeffrey Archer novel! - testament to your extraordinary talents. Are the short stories your only proposed publication next year? I so look forward to my once a year read of your newest novel during the Easter break! - Michelle, Glasgow.
Hi Jeffrey,I stumbled in here from Bryan Appleyard's article on blogs from the Times website. You have a classy blog with an appealing design and clear features. Oh Lord, war is one of those issues that I'm totally resigned about. Didn't know you had come to Hyderabad. Well you can be assured you have a cult following among Indians. One of my first books was Kane and Abel and is still one of my favourites.Cheers :)
i read that there is speculation you have signed a 5 book deal for 18 million quid deal to write a saga on a bristol based shipping family. Lots of opportunity for the inclusion of characters such as brunel and cabot., and issues such as slavery. I would also suggest - if you have not done so already - taking a look at tyntesfield house which is south of bristol and was built by a wealthy shipping family. Richard.
Hi Jeffrey,
I'm really enjoying Kane & Abel.Only my 2nd book I've read from you.Man,what a awsome book!!
When are you coming to South Africa again? World Cup 2010??
Best of luck.
Barend van Staden
Cape Town
Post a Comment
<< Home