Header
Header
Header
 


25 November 2009

Weekly up-date

Back in London, having completed the twelfth draft of And Thereby Hangs a Tale - a ten day break before I look through the 15 stories for the final time before handing it in to my publisher. During this 10 days, I will attempt to have a complete break - cricket, auctions, the theatre, anything to distract me, so that when I begin the final reading I'm fresh and ready.

Last night I went to a screening of The Wildest Dream, an Atlantic Productions feature documentary depicting the story of whether George Mallory, the subject of my book, Paths of Glory, could have mounted the Second Step, or whether, in 1924, he would have found it insurmountable. Two brilliant climbers managed the feat, dressed in the clothes of that era, and with the equipment that Mallory and Irvine were using at the time. Of course this doesn't prove that Mallory and Irvine did reach the top, but as both climbers said they were not in Mallory's class, it adds to the fun of speculation. The film is brilliantly shot, and the scenes on the second step of Everest are both terrifying and amazing. The film will be on general release on Imax cinemas in April, and is already on the long list for an Oscar nomination. Before you all ask how is this possible, the producers release the film in just six cinemas in America, in order to qualify for an Oscar nomination before its general release. Incidentally, another group of climbers will be going out to Everest in the new year in the hope of finding Sandy Irvine's body (Mallory's body was found in 1999 by Conrad Anker). The reason there's so much interest in finding Irvine's body, is that he had the Kodak camera on him, and Kodak say it may still be possible, even after 85 years, for the film to be developed. The story goes on.

6 Comments:

Blogger Karthik Murali said...

the documentary can actually be named
"And thereby hangs a tale" ......

it actually pefectly matches and coincides the ironical situation

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Geeves said...

Book was great - Carry on with your great books. Lve it. Geeves
Canada

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed Paths of Glory. A tale well woven. Great insights of an era.

AJ Riebe
Kila, Montana
Jan 3, 2010

3:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When I purchased the book, I was not sure what to expect. Well, I take that back....I knew what to expect...another great book by
Jeffrey Archer. You hooked me with Kane & Abel and I have been there
ever since. I would be intersted in seeing this documentary thanks
to the introduction given by you.
Every year I look forward to a new
book from an old friend.
Thank you...

7:24 PM  
Blogger zack said...

I certainly would pay even more than a penny for the years of ejoyment that you have given to me. I have lived in the USA for fifty years and you still make me proud of my English beginnings. Today I finished reading "Paths to Glory" and at last I can go tosleep without it being in the middle of the night.I, who knew Whitechapel as well as King Street in Chelsea want to thank you and your wonderful mind for making my life so much more interesting . This because you appear to have an amazing insight into the minds of your readers who would agre with my sentiment when I say thank you for being.

4:50 AM  
Blogger ladybythesea said...

Hello Jeffery.. I just finished Paths of Glory and as always with one of your books, I am still "in" it. I always have questions about how much is fact, and fiction.. I did just look up Peter Finch as I was in my 20's when he won his academy and remembered him, as well as saw Network. (I am American...) I was interested to see that he was the illegitimate son of George. Wondered if you knew that? My husband and I were also wondering if the letters to Ruth from Mallory were indeed real or part of what you imagined he might have written?... Lynn in Oregon...

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home