The Make-A-Wish auction, held annually at the Dorchester, is without doubt the one I most look forward to, because it's the best run, best organised and most enjoyable auction of the year. The charity grants wishes to children and young people who are fighting the most terrible life-threatening illnesses - cancer, leukaemia, renal failure, cystic fibrosis, brain tumour - I could fill this post just by naming the problems these young children are suffering while we go about our daily lives. For many people who hold charity functions, the auction is an important part of the evening, but for Make-A-Wish it is clearly the main event, and between the main auction and the silent auction, they raised £310,000 - the highest I've managed this year by a long way. As I left the Dorchester around midnight, the organiser told me they'd already sold out for next year's event. Yes, these are hard times, but it doesn't stop this particular group putting their hands in their pockets and being extremely generous.



1 Comments:
I am delighted to read this article - I live in Canada and am trying to do more volunteer work to help me with what I really wish to work and get paid for. So I can work my own hours. Your Official Blog is a treat. I have been off line since 4th Sept. and back on line a week deleting 95 % of unwanted e-mails. It has been such a delight getting news out of UK. I don't watch TV. Thanks for taking precious time with great news. Geeves Edmonton Alberta Canada 4.46 a.m. Have a great Day.
Post a Comment
<< Home