Header
Header
Header
 


18 November 2009

A journey by train

A busy weekend saw me on the train to Birmingham on Saturday to conduct an auction for Get-A-Head, a charity fighting head and neck diseases, especially cancer, which raised just over £116,000, proving there's money in the provinces, even if my London auctions have recently been returning smaller sums. The organisation of the event was brilliant, although the timing went a little astray. I wasn't up on stage until 11pm, and poor Bobby Davro appeared on stage just after midnight, with the wonderful opening line, "I signed this contract for Saturday." On returning to London, I had a few hours rest before travelling up to north London to do an auction for the Hampstead Theatre. This one started on time, and raised some £23,000, greatly helped by an appearance by Maureen Lipman who had the audience in fits of laughter.

I'm off for a week to do the latest draft of And Thereby Hangs a Tale, a set of 15 short stories that will be published in May. The only break I intend to take is to watch England play New Zealand in rugby, and can only hope that it will be a little more entertaining than their efforts against Argentina.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jeffrey,

Just wondering if you plan to write any more fast paced, exciting, 'good v evil' thrillers along the lines of Prison of Birth/False Impressions/A matter of honour etc..?

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the new edition of Kane & Abel... I also turn 30 in a few weeks! :-)

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Carol said...

Dear Mr Archer,
My friend and I were on the same train as you on Sunday morning, travelling between Birmingham International and London. We were rather intrigued by the three large toy ostriches that were your travelling companions, but didn't like to intrude on your privacy to ask.....! However, curiosity has since got the better of us. Could you share the story behind this rather curious sight?

11:36 PM  
Blogger krishnamoorthy said...

dear mr archer
we still do not know if there are 14 or 15 stories in the new collection of yours
but the world knew the 32 teams for wc 2010 yesterday
what is your reaction to
- france - ireland qualifier
- brazil-england friendly at qatar
and who do you think will reach the last 4 next year

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Roberta said...

I just finished 'Paths of glory" and enjoyed every minute of it. The book read so smoothly that I could not put it down. If Mallory reached the top, which it seems he probably did, couldn't the honor be shared with Hillary rather than have him removed from the list ?

9:33 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

krishnamoorthy - there will now be 15 short stories in 'And Thereby Hangs a Tale' as Jeffrey wrote an extra one on the flight back from his recent trip to Hyderabad. Jeffrey's PA.

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home