Header
Header
Header
 


11 November 2009

Following the Australians into Hyderabad





I'm just back from four days in Hyderabad. I spoke at three meetings, did four signing sessions and 17 press, radio and television interviews. I am very grateful for the kindness the Indians always display on these occasions. I was particularly touched by the fact that on the three times I went out for a meal, no bill appeared.
My congratulations to Landmark on producing such a magnificent new bookstore for the city of Hyderabad, and I am much looking forward to my trip to Mumbai in April next year to open another of their stores.

Publishers should have no fear for the future of books when it comes to India, as the average age of the audiences I faced seemed to be between 20-30, with at least 25% under the age of 20. A seven year old girl had read Not a Penny More, Not A Penny Less, and an eleven year old boy had a series of questions for me on the differences between the original Kane and Abel and the revised edition 30 years later. Mind you, I did promise the lad I would be rewriting the book again in thirty years time when I'll be 99.

8 Comments:

Blogger Karen Xavier said...

wow, I had no idea so many people read here... I live in Chennai by the way and whenever I see people reading on the subway or in a waiting room, its always Jeffrey Archer's or Sidney Sheldon's.
-Karen.

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Vasp said...

Dear Sir,

I was so happy to finally meet the only celebrity I have ever wanted to, since I was 12 years old when I read 'A Matter of Honour'. I would make a 'wish-list' every year from the time I was 12/13. The list looked quite different year after year but, 'Meeting Jeffery Archer' never changed. I am 27 now and I am still wondering if all of it was a dream!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Adit Agarwal said...

It was so awesome seeing you @ hyderabad... I mean in the end, I had to get grounded, as being not well, I wasn't even supposed to leave home, let alone spending a few hours out, but well pretty less it is for I had the honor to meet you, I mean... i always wanted to from the time i read not a penny more not a penny less, i always wondered how you could actually write on, and i must admit, tho I did not read all your books, I've read a majority of them. One that i was missing was False Impression, which I finished in just 2 days and yep, I've completed the new edition of kane and abel, and reading it... I'm already waiting for the 60th anniversary edition :P
Oh, btw i'm 17 now, but i read not a penny more when I was nine, tho i had to read it again last year so that i get a new interpretation to it :P

Will be waiting for you when you come to Hyderabad next time too!

Yours,

Adit.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Sharon Shefali Gupta said...

Dear Mr. Archer, I'm a Civil Servant and writer who lives in Delhi but my brother Stephen met you in Hyderabad recently and he was on cloud nine! We're all huge fans of yours. My brother also mentioned my multicultural romance novel to you: 'The Marine and the Indian Rose'. It's published by Publish America. I was touched because you actually took a moment to inquire about it. I quite sure you won't actually get a copy (!) but your kindness is a lesson to all of us. I must remember that if I become a famous writer one day, I must always show interest in other people's work!
All the best, Sharon Shefali Gupta.
P.S. Wishful thinking on my part, but you might like to check out my website: www.sharongupta.com! Ciao!

4:56 AM  
Blogger Neha Pai said...

Dear Mr. Archer,

We met at Hyderabad and I had promised to post the Sparrow story on your blog during your visit.

No one can escape destiny
-------------------------
In Srimad Bhagavatam there is a nice story on Destiny, a sparrow is collecting some grains near Vishnu temple when he sees Yama Dharma Raja (God of Death), Yama Dharama Raj also looked at him and smiled. Seeing this smile from God of Death, the sparrow got scared and assumed that his end is near. He was at his wits end, panicked & started crying.

On enquiry by Garuda Dev (Garuda-Eagle is the Vahana/vehicle for Vishnu and a Statue of Garuda is always guarding the entrance of any Vishnu temple) of what caused him such grief and why is he crying, the sparrow explained as to what transpired & that his end is near.

Garuda felt pity on this little sparrow and told that he is willing to help him in any way possible. While Yama was still praying in the temple, Garuda with his huge wings, took the sparrow to Mount Meru which was seven seas across the temple and returned in a jiffy.

When Yama came out, he was looking around & Garuda accosted him. Yama asked Garuda if he knew the whereabouts of the sparrow which he had seen just while entering the temple. Garuda proudly told Yama that he has ensured that the sparrow is safe by taking him across seven seas to Mount Meru & asked the reason why Yama had smiled at the sparrow while entering the temple.

Yama then told Garuda that he was smiling on the fate & what is written in the destiny of the sparrow. He was surprised to see that sparrow which was destined to be eaten by a cat on Mount Meru still here in so distant a place & how his tiny wings would get him to Mount Meru in so short a time to meet his destiny.

If God wants to kill you no one can protect you and if God wants to protect you no one can kill you. This is the mantra of Bhakti Yoga, if we do not surrender to God then the same God appears to us as death! For a devotee death is only a transition to higher state or the original state of the Self, for him there is no anxiety of death.
------------

Hope you enjoy the above.

Thanks & regards,
Narasimha

8:52 AM  
Blogger Siri said...

Sir, I grew up reading your books and i too will be looking forward to read the book you are going to write at 99..your books will never loose that charm in them.

9:00 PM  
Anonymous SDKAR said...

i wish u live for ever.. My family always awaited one book each from author trio( S.sheldon, ken Follet and you)every year. But with sidney no more I hope you and ken would go on for ever

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sir,

"Kane and Abel" is a great novel. I can relate so many incidents in the novel to my own life especially the problems that a son faces after his father's death at an early age. I have read this novel more than 10 times.
I stay in Hyderabad. I was not aware that you visited the city in 2009. I came to know only yesterday and I feel very sad for not being able to attend your session in Landmark. I feel like missing a train to paradise. Sir, I request you to visit Hyderabad again.
I have read your new short story compilation "And thereby hangs a tale". I liked most of the stories and the unexpected twist and ending that you give in every story you write. O. Henry is the only other person I admire for such a talent.

- Bitupon.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home