Header
Header
Header
 


04 November 2009

Beware Greeks bearing gifts

Last night it was the turn of the Greeks, who held a fundraising dinner in one of England's most beautiful buildings, Bridgewater House, just off St James's Street. Although the Lots were attractive - the chance to stay in a villa on a Greek island, or a hotel in Athens, for example, the problem is that nowadays none of the airlines (understandably) are giving away free flights, even for charity. So if you have to get yourself there and back, these Lots become not quite so attractive. The second problem was that most of the special items were for holidays or hotels in Greece, and I had a feeling that 90% of the audience had been there, done that, and I would have been far better off auctioning these Lots in Surbiton rather than at a Greek national dinner. Nevertheless, £34,000 was added to the charity's coffers, and should help with their work.

One reads a lot about the Italians and the French when it comes to style, but I have to tell you that the Greeks are up there with them. It was almost like Back to the Future, and what grand balls must have been like in the 1930s, when elegance and style were commonplace at such events. At the end of the evening when Chris and I walked out of the building we passed a young couple on the pavement. The girl had a big hole in her black tights and was wearing Ugg boots - still, this is 2009, but I find it hard to believe that in 50 years time, people will look upon that as elegant.

3 Comments:

Blogger IBU said...

Dear Sir

Any chance of you (and/or your plays) making appearance in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia?

Best Rgds
An avid fan

5:46 PM  
Blogger charlotte said...

I just wanted to say thank you for many fabulous years of reading. It is the re-release of Kane and Abel that has prompted me to visit your blog and i have not been dissapointed. I have always had the utmost respect for your writing although i confess i know nothing about your politics! I read the original Kane and Abel when i was ten years old and i believe i have all your books since then. I look forward to your next release. Thank you and good luck for the future.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Aasim said...

Hello Sir!
Getting time off from the computer? :)
Do update your blog about Hyderabad and the other cities you've visited here in India.
I must admit, you have energy like I wouldn't have ever anticipated.
Great to see for the first time after reading so many of your books since I was 15. Thanks for signing my two books! :)

4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home