Header
Header
Header
 


19 October 2009

Translation please

I sat still in my chair at the Prix Polar International ceremony in Cognac on Friday evening as they announced the winner. All I heard was 'Jeffrey Archer', but still didn't get it - partly because my French is so appalling. It wasn't until my French publisher, who has the unlikely name of Anne-France, prodded me in the ribs and said, "You've won," that I got up and walked over to receive my first literary award - for best international thriller with A Prisoner of Birth. The rest of the evening went by in a bit of a haze, surrounded by bearded French men wearing sweaters and smoking Gauloises, chattering at me in their native tongue. I simply smiled and nodded occasionally, before being allowed to escape back to my hotel room around two in the morning. The following day I did a signing session in the town hall, but was unable to join the Mayor of Cognac for lunch as I had to get a flight back to London to do the auction for SeeAbility at the RAC. Although I nearly fell asleep during dinner, adrenalin kept me going just enough to raise £25,400 for this very deserving charity. When I eventually did get to bed, I slept until 9am the next morning, the award still by my bedside. Back to the real world.

6 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Congratulations, Jeffrey! Simply knew it was a winner...a beautiful literary piece of work! Well done.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Farzana said...

Hi Mr Archer, I really enjoyed your latest book! I must say I devoured it by reading all night!

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am currently reading a new collection of short stories by a world-renowned author - a legend in his own country - and there's nothing so-far that would get me to read their novels; VERY over-rated.

Awards are mostly given for that which is fashionable, but this is deserved; I have this odd feeling that there is more on the way...............

2:09 PM  
Blogger Narayan said...

yippeee.........
grat, great news.
We stand up and applaud...you truly deserve it. The only grudge is that it has come almost 25 years too late.

4:03 AM  
Blogger maggie freeman said...

A PRISONER OF BIRTH I couldn't put this book down. Loved the characters as well as the yarn.
I love to hear that you receive well deserved awards and not before time.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't normally read 400 page books, but I read this one with enjoyment. A superb book.

Jemima

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home