Header
Header
Header
 


13 October 2009

This morning, this afternoon, and this evening

Yesterday began with a visit to the This Morning studio to be interviewed by Phillip and Holly about the new version of Kane and Abel. It was clear from their questions that they'd read the book, which always makes an interview that much easier, and indeed, although I'm never able to fully relax on these occasions, I enjoyed myself. From there I went on to the Arts Club on Dover Street to address the Rotary Club of London. Rotary do so much good work for charity that it was disappointing to learn that their membership is in decline from their heydays in the 70s and 80s. In fact, I confess that it looked to me that the average age of those in the audience was around 70. The treasurer explained that young people today have so many interests and calls on their time, that it's becoming harder and harder to recruit new members. However, as they're preparing for their 100th anniversary in 2011, they were optimistic about the immediate future.

In the evening, I went to view the Peter Brookes exhibition, The Best of Times, at the Chris Beetles Gallery, which was opened by Matthew Parris, and I was fascinated to see his speech repeated word for word in the Times this morning. Peter Brookes is one of my favourite cartoonists (his Survival of the Fattest is illustrated below), so I was not surprised that it was almost impossible to get into the gallery, it was so packed. I can recommend this exhibition as thoroughly worth a visit should you be in the West End.
I then crossed the road to attend the Facet Foundation auction at Christies in aid of African children. Laurence Graff had gathered together a remarkable selection of modern pictures for this charity he founded in memory of his mother, who died last year at the age of 97. The evening raised over a million pounds, and it was one of those rare occasions where I got to sit and watch the auctioneer. A Damien Hirst painting of a diamond sold for £100,000, but the triumph of the evening was the Indian artist Raqib Shaw, whose work raised £220,000. The room was full of beautiful women draped in diamonds, and beautiful men who could afford them. I felt quite out of place, and crept away to a little Italian restaurant just down the road and joined Chris Beetles for a spaghetti bolognaise, priced £12.50.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Steve Nimmons said...

Jeffrey,
It was lovely to meet on Monday at the Arts Club (Rotary Club of London luncheon). As you mention some of the clubs are in slight decline, but as with many membership based organisations this has a cyclical tendency and the work of clubs and stalwarts up and down the land will no doubt secure a revival in membership, particularly as some of the senior UK clubs celebrate their centenary year in 2011. Attendance at Monday’s meeting (was of course) exceptional and this highlights the need to provide an excellent luncheon experience, comprising the best and most interesting speakers. You were certainly in that category and it was a treat to hear something of the ‘swings and arrows’ of life from one of the UK’s most recognisable figures.

I wish you the greatest of success with the new book and thank-you again for attending our club and providing such an excellent, amusing and entertaining speech.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home