Header
Header
Header
 


06 October 2009

Talking to no-one

Of course as you grow older, you have to accept that there is a whole new generation who've arrived on this earth who are young and with-it, while you've become an old fuddy-duddy, grumbling in the background. On Sunday night, I had a quiet dinner in a chinese restaurant, and couldn't help noticing seven young people sitting around a circular table, none of whom were talking to each other. Three were absorbed in their Blackberry's, two were on the phone, and one (I could see the screen clearly) was playing a football game. The remaining person, an attractive young lady, sat staring into space. What has happened to the art of conversation, the pleasure of enjoying a good meal? If I owned a restaurant, I would ban Blackberry's and mobile phones...and I suppose I'd be empty.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sean Flanagan said...

well said Jeffrey and I agree "ban gadgets in public places"
Sean

12:31 PM  
Blogger krishnamoorthy said...

dear mr archer
i just read about the nobel peace prize to obama
dont you think its premature in addition to the debate whether he deserves it in the first place?

11:22 AM  
Blogger JAYALAKSHMI said...

Haha I can't agree more but this is evolution...soon you may find people with a very tiny tongue which is used only for salivating and not speaking...

2:30 PM  
Blogger anuja said...

In total agreement. The art of conversation is dying out, giving way to gadgetry.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like ths comment very much - we live in a strange world now phones and face book.

daya

5:14 PM  
Blogger JelliButz said...

well, advancement of technology .. but the silence in the group is much better than some who talks loud enough to be heard by all diners in a restaurant.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ref: The Eleventh Commandment.

Mr Archer,
Can you pl put some more light on the envolope, kept by Connor for Maggie, written on, "Not to be opened before 17th December".
What about that envolope, and what happened to it!

9:57 AM  
Blogger rvs said...

Two poetic viewpoints on cell phones by the same poet (me).
http://snspress.com/pages/CellPhones_poem.htm http://snspress.com/pages/06Finally.htm

However the most outrageous cellphone moment I witnessed was a man arguing with his partner on a cell phone in a building supply store while choosing power tools (a saw!!)

Yes, man is distinguished from other animals by the opposition of forefinger and thumb - it has led to one-handed dialing!

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home