Last night's benefit for Ben Smith, a cricketer who has served Worcestershire for the past 20 years, was one of the most enjoyable occasions I've attended for many years. Ben Smith was never going to play for England, and is what we would have called in the old days, a county journeyman, but it was clear from the packed Long Room that he was much loved and much admired. Indeed, the former England captain David Gower did a Q&A session with Geoff Miller, the current chairman of selectors, which was a minor clue as to Ben's popularity. The highlight of the evening was a brilliant speech by Geoff, who had the crowd in fits of laughter when he said, "Ben has managed to raise £30,000 during his testimonial year, whereas when I retired from Derbyshire during the miner's strike, I ended up minus £3,500 after I'd paid all the hospitality bills." The evening ended with Ben receiving a standing ovation which went on and on and on. I suspect it's a moment he won't forget for the rest of his life, because traditionally the only people who receive a standing ovation in the Long Room at Lord's are those who have just returned from the field having scored a century, or taken 5 wickets. It wasn't the largest sum of money I'll raise at an auction this year, but I doubt if I'll attend a happier occasion.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home