A year ago, Brian Sewell advised me not to go to the Frieze Art Fair, with the memorable words, "It will only encourage them, Jeffrey." I disobeyed his good advice on Sunday, as a friend of mine visiting from the US was very keen to attend. I still don't get it, despite the fact that Richard and Ruthie Rogers told me to keep trying because in time I would. They clearly know something I don't. One of my golden rules when attending any exhibition, whether it be in a great museum, a famous art gallery or a modern collection, is, if they were to offer me any piece, which one would I take away? If there hadn't been a small Calder tucked away in the corner of one of the stands - which looked as if it was in the wrong show - the answer on this occasion, would be nothing. I would like to share with you the details of one particular piece. On one of the stands was a Tracey Emin exhibit, a neon sign which read, I really do love you, which you could purchase for £65,000. I wish I could find some way of getting people to pay £65,000 for every sentence I write. This is the bit that's meant to shock you - underneath the sign was a message which invited you to fill in a short questionnaire - name, age, hobbies, things that mattered to you - and having filled it in, you could then pop it in a box along with a cheque for £10,000, and Ms Emin would come up with a personal sentence just for you. If you liked that sentence, you would then be offered the opportunity to have it made up into a neon sign for £65,000. I declined this kind offer. George Bernard Shaw once said that horse-racing was a plot between the upper class and the lower class to fleece the middle class. I consider the Frieze to be a plot among very clever dealers to fleece the nouveau riche, and I'll have none of it.



10 Comments:
Well done Jeffrey. A Prisoner of Birth is one I have read three times!
Sir,You've said that you would be in Hyderabad,India on 7-8 november.Im from hyderabad and I should not miss a chance to meet you.So please give us the details of your visit.
I saw you - shopping in the Art Gallery and Museum in Bristol on Monday afternoon!!
i think your book as the crow flies is amaxing and does not get enough credit. I first read it at 16 and ever since then cannot stop reading it. The characters are so life like and I find it good how when you say such things as charlies a middle adged man with a weight problem it helps me realise that Charlies not a scrawny young boy anymore and we see him grow up. well done. Its fatastic.
Also its the first time ive seen Wetherby in a book!!
Anonymous - I was indeed in Bristol on Monday, doing some research for my next novel.
krishnateja - I'll be posting details on this trip on my website in the next few days - but I can tell you that I'll be doing a book signing on Sunday 8th.
You should have gone to bristol museum a few weeks ago when Banksy was on - it was great!
Richard
Bristol
Hello Sir,
Just wondering if you'd be coming to Perth, Australia by any chance? It would be great to meet you in person.
I was first introduced to your books by my dad, who read your books when he was a young boy. We are both big fans of the way you write, your characters, ideas and your plots are just so intriguing! I've not read all your books as yet but I’ve got my own collection going and I’m getting through them very quickly. I absolutely loved Kane & Able, The Prodigal Daughter, A Prisoner of Birth, The Fourth Estate (the 1st Jeffrey Archer book I read)
Also I must say I really like how you have a blog and that you actually interact with your fans. :) It’s just so great to be able to say that I’ve “spoken” with The Sir Jeffrey Archer! (Be it via the internet but still!)
Are you working on another book?
dear me archer
reminds me of an anecdote
a curator in a museum was explaining modern art to a junior member of the new recruits
he showed the backside of a painting where four mounting hooks could be seen on all four sides
he explained to the junior that he rotates the painting by 90 degree every week
and to this date no one is any wiser!!!
Hi Jeffrey, I enjoyed reading your 'Life in the Day Of' in last week's Sunday Times Magazine. Didn't know of your connection with The Sound Of Music and Grease. Very interesting.
Hope you enjoy reading my 'Life in the Day Of' which will be published soon!
I'm an engraver living in Birmingham. Don't want to tell more and spoil the plot!
Post a Comment
<< Home