Header
Header
Header
 


30 September 2009

Lunchtime tales

Just after I'd finished speaking at the Daily Mail Literary Lunch yesterday, my agent whispered in my ear that Paths of Glory will be No.1 on the Sunday Times Bestsellers list this weekend. Authors always discover where they are on this list on a Tuesday afternoon, and it still remains a very exciting moment when you're told your book has reached the top spot.

The literary lunch itself was attended by 520 people, which the organisers announced was the largest turnout in its history, mainly I think, because William Shawcross was talking about his biography of the Queen Mother, and Liz Jones was talking about 'Why everybody hates me'. Gyles Brandreth, our master of ceremonies, was his usual exuberant self, keeping affairs moving at a great pace, whilst amusing the audience with some of the sharpest lines of the day. I returned to the apartment to try and catch up with two weeks of correspondence, as I've been away doing a fourth draft of And Thereby Hangs a Tale, a set of short stories that will be published in May next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home