Yesterday, Mary and I travelled to Taunton, the county town of Somerset, where I opened the Pegasus Court development overlooking the Somerset County Cricket ground which includes a new 3,000 seater stand. (With Richard Gould, Somerset Chief Executive on the rooftop viewing area overlooking the county ground)
After the formalities, we then spent a happy afternoon watching Somerset beat Sussex.
Whenever I return to the county in which I was brought up, I'm reminded what a gentle and courteous pace of life it is there compared to the hustle of London, and I'm looking forward to this continuing as we travel on deeper into the West Country and on to Cornwall.



8 Comments:
mr archer
you can file an affidavit to change your name
to nostradamus
burnley defeated man utd 1-0
yesterday
archer
just in case that you do not recall
(highly unlikely)
please see your blog post
"they did not turn up"
on 28th may
I decided to listen to some of the latest Test Cricket before falling asleep last night...not much happening due to rain, but it was very nice listening to the delightful lilt of Northern Hemisphere voices and just drifting off to sleep...
Jeffrey, Would you be willing to be "Patron" of my new choir - "Laudate!" ? see www.laudatechoir.co.uk
We are a young "ish" up and coming choir specialising in church music (dear, I know, to Mary's heart!). Perhaps you could e-mail your reply to neilshepherd@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks and good wishes
Neil Shepherd
Not exactly a comment to this post...but a tribute Senator Edward Kennedy has passed away....
However, for me he will always be THE President in SHALL WE TELL THE PRESIDENT (original first edition).
As a member of the Curzon Group, I thought I should visit your blog and leave a comment. The West country sounds great, notwithstanding the cricket (sorry - not a fan - it's a woman thing!) I always have the same feeling as you when travelling out of London. I've been touring around this summer, promoting my own book, and there are some really lovely towns up and down the country. London is an exciting place to live, but it's simply too large for comfort, especially for someone who's always getting lost - (don't tell me, it's because I'm a woman ...!).
Here's the link to my post on The Bookseller blog if you want to check out what I've been up to. (I'm very proud of this link - that's me, in The Bookseller!)
Hi Jeffrey,
Returning to the place where we are brought up,brings us back in an elusive utopia that we have always been searching.And if that place is some peace loving countryside then the placidity satiates by leaps and bounds.
I wish that you find even heightend pleasure as you move in.
~Harsha
Dear Mr Archer:
Found your blog because I am trying to get in touch with you. Alas, am not a cricket or football fan, more interested in your books. And your charity auction fame! Although it's not a good time to hold one, I have one breathing down my neck. Would you not like to come and check us out at Sa Taronja? in Andratx, Mallorca.
We are a lost cause standing up for independent art, music, dance, literature and off-the-wall experimentation, a laid-back ex-chicken farm with an unusual restaurant, an open mike and a crumbling roof, in a country that hasn't heard of public funding.
Well, just thought I'd try.
Thanks for keeping the publishing industry alive.
Tina of sataronja@ gmail.com
Post a Comment
<< Home