Header
Header
Header
 


03 July 2009

A social evening

I attended David Frost's annual summer party last night, and this year he didn't need the Wimbledon roof, as the weather was perfect for an evening drinks party. Esther Rantzen charged across the lawn to ask what I felt about her standing as an Indpendent candidate for Luton at the next General Election, where it's clear she'd be a popular candidate. However, I pointed out to her that independents rarely win at a general election, because they get lost in the overall battle, whereas their best chance is always in a by-election and then holding on to the seat. She seemed very determined to give it a go, although she clearly hasn't made up her mind. We were joined by John Madejski, lamenting the fate of Reading Football Club, and moments later by Ken Livingstone, who told me in great detail about his forthcoming memoirs - although he avoided answering the question as to whether he would stand for Mayor of London again. Stuart Rose told an amusing story that he'd asked the board of Marks & Spencer if they were at any time considering sacking him, could they do it in the morning as he hadn't had a relaxed lunch for several years. He didn't seem to mind the fact that the press were now describing him as a benign dictator, as he felt that was what Britain needed right now - but he was quick to add that he wasn't available.

I'm getting so old that I didn't recognise half the bright young things who were moving from group to group, but I didn't embarrass David this year as I once did in the past, when asking Sol Kerzner what he did for a living. As I was leaving, David Cameron came rushing in, not late, having just come on from The Spectator party. It has always been the lot of the Leader of the Opposition that most evenings they have to attend at least 3 or 4 different functions, especially with an election less than a year away.

2 Comments:

Blogger northstar said...

Sir Jeffrey,
I came across your novel The Prodigal Daughter on the bookshelf here in our Senior Citizen Highrise - read it - and then looked up all your other books. How did you escape my notice all these years? My favorite is the Birth one - and aver that your characters live as vividly as the British like to feel Sherlock Holmes did. I would like to comment on something else, but not on this Google. I love the notices you publish here - having also looked you up on Google after reading your latest book. "Groupie" I am not - but I do enjoy books that bear rereading!

4:43 PM  
Blogger northstar said...

Sir Jeffrey
It's the 4th of July here in the States - and I'll soon be heading out to the lake to spend a lazy afternoon with my sisters, brother, nieces and nephews - but I've been trying to find a way to contact you. Hope this is okay .. I only discovered you this winter - and have read everything you've published. And then I found this Blog on Google. A "groupie" I am not - and have never done this before - trying to contact an author. But your writings are - how can I say this without sounding "gushing" ?? so re-readable.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home