What a great Ashes victory yesterday, and an amazing personal triumph for Freddie Flintoff. Tonight at the Hurlingham Club, Freddie and his wife Rachael are launching the Andrew Flintoff Foundation - a children's charity raising funds to build, develop and improve child rehabilitation and physiotherapy units throughout the UK. All 650 seats were sold weeks ago, and the guests will include Michael Vaughan, Shane Warne and Andrew Strauss who, along with Freddie, will be part of a Q&A session. Among the auction items that will come under the hammer tonight are the sweater Freddie wore, a stump and possibly even the ball that he bowled with on the last morning. Tomorrow I'll let you know how much they raised. I once auctioned a bat which Flintoff scored a century with against the Australians at Headingley, for £16,000, so despite these hard times, I am optimistic that tonight will give the Flintoff Foundation a resounding lift-off.



3 Comments:
You know, I for one am pleased that you guys won the Test Match at Lords...what a fine send off for Freddie Flintoff. My thoughts about being a 'sport' has never been about who wins the game but the spirit in which it is played. I was thinking the same thing as I watched New Zealand win the first of the Bledisloe Cup games on the weekend...New Zealand may have won by points, but to me, both teams were winners because of my total enjoyment of watching sport played beautifully and well. Now that really is sport...
Diane
Great to see famous people doing their bi for charity. This motivates common people too. If each on of us decide to help at least one under privileged person, this world will be a much better place to live.
warm regards,
bala
"bi" in my earlier comment should actually read "bit" !
Post a Comment
<< Home