Header
Header
Header
 


15 July 2009

Heaven on earth

Yesterday I arrived in Heaven, well to be more accurate, the Long Room at Lord's for a testimonial dinner for the captain of the England cricket team, Andrew Strauss. Most of the team were there to support their leader, including Freddie Flintoff, James Anderson, Monty Panesar, Paul Collingwood and Alastair Cook. My schoolboy delight knew no bounds when I was introduced to those two Australian heroes, Glenn McGrath and Adam Gilchrist, although I confess it was equalled by the most accomplished speech by Stephen Fry on the state of modern cricket. Our host for the evening was David Gower, and among his guests for the Q&A session were Michael Vaughan, Justin Langer and of course Freddie Flintoff who has become an accomplished speaker and adept with the witty repartee. The auction raised just over £40,000 which will benefit The Anthony Nolan Trust, Chance to Shine, Operation Smile and The Primary Club, and it was clear that the packed audience would all be in the stands tomorrow for the first day of the Second Test. Tonight, happiness is extended as I'll be attending the cricket cartoon exhibition at the Chris Beetles Gallery to be opened by Sir Ian Botham. Masses of cricket cartoons for sale at sensible prices should ensure a packed house.

3 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

Jeffrey,

Well, Mallory and Irving may have actually been closer to heaven than the "Long Room" and having read "Paths of Glory" I believe I'm correct in saying this coming Friday, 17 July at 12.50 pm will mark the 85th anniversary of the last time Mallory and Irving were last seen alive.

I was wondering, is their any "event" planned to recognise the occassion..?

11:40 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

One of nature's true gentlemen...Glenn McGrath. Just love him!

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

arived accidentally,thus a newbie on this blog,so off subject:Would love to know what his lordship thinks of the expenses debacle.-and the prospect of survival of the Commons

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home