A busy weekend began on Saturday with the opening of Art Contact's sculpture exhibition at Limberhurst Arts Centre in Horsheath, Cambridge. They have a wide selection of modern sculptures on display, and I particularly liked Dorothy Brook, Pierre Dimantopoulo, Mel Fraser, Teo San Jose and Nicolas Moreton (whose 'Sunrise' is shown here). As the prices range from £125 to £25,000 there's something for everyone, and if you're in the area, it's well worth a visit.On Sunday, Mary and I held our summer party at the Old Vicarage to celebrate our 43rd wedding anniversary. Mary now likes to use the marquee for a charity event in the evening, which makes it a very busy day with some 300 guests attending each event. We got very lucky with the weather despite the forecast showers, as the sun appeared at 12.30 as the first guest arrived, and we had clear skies for the next 8 hours. The summer party ended around 4.30pm. When the last guest had departed, I dashed into the house to see how Federer and Roddick were getting on, arriving with the final set at eight-all; an hour later, we had a champion. I went back into the garden to listen to Trinity College Choir sing in aid of Addenbrooke's Abroad, a charity which sends doctors and nurses to different parts of the world so that their expertise can be passed on. The choir were magnificent, and I then foolishly decided to invite Donald Sinden and Frank Finlay to join me on stage to draw the raffle. The two old thespians had the audience in fits of laughter and I expect it's a raffle none of us will forget. Like the others, the two great men gave their services for nothing, mind you, it's quite something when you have to end your careers drawing a raffle at the Old Vicarage Grantchester.



4 Comments:
43 Wedding Anniversary you say Jeffrey.
Congratulations to you both!
And, a great idea to use the marquee for a charitable event as well!
Congratulations on 43 years of marriage! Not without many "eventful" happenings. A love and bond to be truly admired, respected, and envied.
Congratulations, sir.
And by the way, brilliant writer you are, says a humble translator.
My sincere congratulations on 43 years of marriage and may you enjoy many more wonderful years together!
My Mum and Dad this year celebrated 64 years of marriage...so I know first hand that the most important of all is love.
Wimbledon is seen at a very civilised time where it happens...but I believe the men's final kept everyone enthralled until about 4 am Monday here in Australia. The Australian's dedication to tennis, it seems, almost equals the cricket...I only heard the final score as I was preparing to go to work, that told me that it was a well matched and pretty close game...Federer quite possibly lucky to win in the end.
Diane
Post a Comment
<< Home