(Silly Points: How Cricket is Played in Mountainous Districts - William Heath Robinson, 1872-1944)
I was sorry to learn that Freddie would be retiring from Test cricket, and I feel sure many people will be thankful for the sheer joy he brings to our lives - not expressed in the mean-spirited and callous Leader in today's Times. Journalism at its worst. I'd certainly like to see the person who wrote it facing Freddie in the nets. Ironically in the same paper, Mike Atherton wrote a quite brilliant article, and he's fast becoming the new E W Swanton/John Woodcock...and maybe one day Neville Cardus. I do hope it wasn't Mike who wrote the Leader.



5 Comments:
Jeffrey, a slight change of subject...I have just started reading your play "The Accused", published in 2000. My curiousity is sparked...on the front page about The Accused, it reads that at that at the time of publication you were working on your eleventh novel "Serendipity" which would be published in 2002. As I don't recall a book with that title, did it eventually become "Sons of Fortune"? That story is one of my favourites...and it sort of fits around the time of The Prison Diaries and you did talk about that story in The Diaries...
Diane makes a very good point and, I'd guess she's spot-on.
"Sons of Fortune" seems to have displaced(?) PD4 and was, of course published in 2002.
Incidentally Jeffrey,
As you've now (today) added a cartoon to this particular thread, does this indicate it's one you've just purchased form CB's latest show?
If so, I wonder, who's the artist and where was the work first published..?
Diane McKewin - Many thanks - you are correct, 'Serendipity' was an early working title, but the book was then published as 'Sons of Fortune'.
Charlie - I haven't bought this particular cartoon, although it's a very good one. This is by William Heath Robinson and was first illustrated in 'Bystander' on 28 May 1924 (page 630!).
Post a Comment
<< Home