Header
Header
Header
 


12 June 2009

Working for kids

Last night Chris and I went to the Intercontinental Hotel to conduct an auction for KidsOut, a charity which helps disadvantaged children and young people throughout the UK. One of the charity's challenges after a local authority has removed a child from an abusive father to rehouse them with the mother - is to move in to help them begin a new life, a situation the vast majority of us could not begin to comprehend. A dedicated team of volunteers had worked hard to fill the ballroom and supply worthwhile items for the auction and, in a time of recession, seemed delighted that the auction raised £35,500. One of the services the charity provides children who have been rehoused and find themselves in a strange environment having had to leave everything behind them is to give them a set of new toys which are tailored according to the child's individual needs, and cost approximately £100 each. 57 people pledged to supply a toybox for a child, raising an extra £5,700, and making the evening thoroughly worthwhile.

7 Comments:

Blogger WoeWise said...

Dear Sir
I am a a very big fan of yours ever since i read A Prisoner of Birth. It compelled me to look for all your other writings and since then i have attempted to read all of them and have been quite successful in my attempt. Everyone of them has been a great reading experience for a young reader like me. I hope to maintaine this association with your beautiful creations and look very much forward to your next work.
Regards

10:35 AM  
Blogger Prahaladhan S said...

Hi sir.Hows life sailing?

10:54 AM  
Blogger Charlie said...

Jeffrey

All of which reminds us that this world of ours has, thank God, far more wonderful, decent, people in it - the often un-sung heroes - than those dedicated to war and abuse...

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Archer,
Do you get paid for your charity work?

8:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just found your website.
I`m in the middle of your latest novel `Paths of Glory, and am loving it!!
I`m taking my time reading this and savouring every page....one of those novels you just don't want to end.

Thank You so much for all of the novels you have written. I have enjoyed each and every one.
Did you realise I take you: on holiday, in the bath , the garden, work and most nights to bed :)
Best wishes
Jayne xx

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are a lot of good people in the world Lord A! More of them deserve OBEs and things...

10:17 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Anonymous - No. I never charge a fee or expenses for charity work.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home