Yesterday I visited the Chris Beetles Gallery in St James's for the opening of the Geraldine Girvan exhibition which was of her usual high standard. The problem in a recession is that while people are still happy to spend money on art for investment purposes - such as photographs by Cecil Beaton or cartoons by Norman Thelwell - they are less inclined to spend maybe £5,000 or £6,000 on a painting purely because it gives them pleasure. This meant there were fewer red dots than one would usually expect at one of Chris's famous opening nights. Nevertheless, I highly recommend a visit to the gallery at the moment, as Beaton, Thelwell and Girvan are all on display.
Tonight I'm off to the Oval to see India play Pakistan in one of the warm-up matches for the forthcoming ICC World Twenty20 games. This is not my favourite form of the sport, but I'm unable to resist the opportunity of seeing some of the finest batsmen on earth, and the natural intense competition there always is between these two great cricketing countries. From there I shall rush off to the Royal Academy for the preview party for the Summer Exhibition which opens on Monday 8th - and I'll report back on both tomorrow.
Tonight I'm off to the Oval to see India play Pakistan in one of the warm-up matches for the forthcoming ICC World Twenty20 games. This is not my favourite form of the sport, but I'm unable to resist the opportunity of seeing some of the finest batsmen on earth, and the natural intense competition there always is between these two great cricketing countries. From there I shall rush off to the Royal Academy for the preview party for the Summer Exhibition which opens on Monday 8th - and I'll report back on both tomorrow.



2 Comments:
Jeffrey
I've never made a purchase from an art gallery. I wonder, do purchasers usually pay the "asking price" or, do they "haggle"?
Charlie - yes, I usually negotiate on the puchase price in a gallery - but you have to be sensible about the price.
Post a Comment
<< Home