Header
Header
Header
 


11 June 2009

To be or not...

I went to Wyndhams Theatre last night to see the Donmar Warehouse production of Hamlet. Although Jude Law is the name that's attracting a sell-out season, it is Michael Grandage who should be standing on stage taking a bow. I believe that he and Gregory Doran are now the two most exciting directors in Britain today. Although there are several good things to say about this production, and indeed the crits have been very generous, I thought the Old Vic production some four years ago, with the young Ben Whishaw in the lead, was superior. But like a Twenty20 match that finishes in the last over, there wasn't a lot in it. Jude Law is so much more than just a film actor, and this performance showed that his career will not die as those of some matinee idols have a tendency to do as they approach the age of forty. I would recommend you go and see this show were it not for the fact that every seat is sold for the entire run, and there were 20 hopeful people standing patiently in the returns line when I arrived. Heaven knows how long the first one in the line had been there. The Donmar deserves great praise for this particular season which has included Madame de Sade, Twelfth Night and Ivanov. Their policy to keep the ticket prices at a sensible level is commendable. Another bouquet for Mr Grandage.

1 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

Jeffrey

I do wish you'd stop rubbing-it-in! How'd you get tickets for Hamlet? I've tried and tried and...

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home