Header
Header
Header
 


10 June 2009

The Shawshank Redemption

Another dash to another airport, this time from Madrid to Dublin. The taxi driver who took us to our hotel had views on everything, from the BNP to whether the new international rugby ground at Lansdowne Road would be built in time for the Ireland v England match in 18 months time. After a quick change, I made my way to the Gaiety Theatre to watch a new production of The Shawshank Redemption, a play of the much-loved Stephen King film. Two young men, Owen O'Neill and Dave Johns, wrote a script on speculation, and took it to Breda Cashe, the well known Irish producer of Stones in his Pocket, who believed that it had great potential. She then spent the next 6 months trying to convince Stephen King's advisers and lawyers that it should be given a chance. Finally they agreed to a six-week run in Ireland, saying if it proved a success it could be transferred to London. It's been a massive success, making a handsome profit in the short six week run. I was delighted to learn that King's advisers have given the transfer the go-ahead, and negotiations are on going with Paul Elliott to put it on stage in the West End. I loved the film, and was equally entranced by the play, which I have a feeling will be a big hit when it crosses the Irish Sea.

12 Comments:

Blogger krishnamoorthy said...

dear mr archer
it is unfortunate that people who know what is wrong with the country
are those who either drive your car
or cut your hair

11:02 AM  
Blogger MSATHIA said...

Hi Archer,
Can you change your feed settings to full in your blog. It helps people like me who read thru google readeer etc.,

2:23 PM  
Blogger Prahaladhan S said...

Dear Jeffrey sir,
This is Prahaladhan S from India.I had posted a comment yesterday.Hope you saw that.I blog occasionally(infact very rarely) at www.prahaladhan.blogspot.com.You may check out my blog if time permits.And sir, I would be thrilled and overjoyed beyond bounds if you reply to me.Even a small 'HI' would do.I would be pinching myself to check if I'm dreaming.
Love and Regards
Prahaladhan S

3:57 PM  
Blogger Charlie said...

Jeffrey

Krishnamoorthy, has hit the nail, right-on-the-head..!

4:57 PM  
Blogger Narayan said...

Sir
it seems that you are promoting plays of everyone....but yourself.
I would like to see that edtions of ACCUSED, BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT and EXCLUSIVE hit India.
We are envious of the luck of the British readers.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I have always loved this movie and keep going back to the pure gem that is it. I would never have thought of it being put on the stage but. as the very essence of the story focuses on the characters, I can see how a stage production could well work and I would love to see Mr King's story in that medium.

Diane

8:54 PM  
Blogger Shawna said...

Wow I really wonder what it is like as a play. Good for Ms. Cashe for pursuing the project! I'd love to make it over to London to see a show in the West End sometime soon.

Shawna's Study Abroad

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Jeffrey said...

Dear Jeffrey,

I would be interested to see this play as like you I have experienced HMP life!It shows that one can be wrongly convicted of a crime..but they cannot break the human spirit!

Regards,
Jeffrey

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Archer

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the Irish production of The Shawshank Redemption. I wish you would come to Ireland more frequently as you have many Irish fans . I am a 21 year old law student who regularly reads your work , I have been reading since I was about thirteen and I throughily enjoy your work,
More over I admire your ambition , drive and most of all your energy which in my opinion is the most important characteristic one can have .Someday I would like to write novels and perhaps run for office , but who knows perhaps Im too much of a dreamer
Continue the good work
Yours Sincerely
Jamie

10:47 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Jamie - Go for it!

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jeffrey,
I hope that I will not end up in HMP again! I'm being put on trial at the 7/7 CC...for drinking tea in a coffee shop!! With all these murders etc its a wonder the CPS have time! I will certainly see this play!
Regards,
Jeff

10:17 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Prahaladhan - many thanks for getting in touch. Best wishes.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home