Header
Header
Header
 


30 June 2009

Rugby's red card

I have loved the game of rugby football all my life, so naturally was sitting in front of the tv at 2.00pm on Saturday for the British Lions match against South Africa. I was appalled that Schalk Burger was not sent off for eye gouging in the first minute. It's an automatic red card in the law book, and why the ref and linesman didn't carry this out is beyond me. I met Burger the last time South Africa were in London - a charming and delightful young man who at his peak, was unquestionably one of the great players in the game, which only added to my sadness at the spectacle we witnessed in South Africa.

I have a message that those journalists in their high positions who only watch great internationals seem to have missed. During the rugby season in this country, every Sunday 300 children come to Cambridge RFC and other grounds all over the country to play mini-rugby. I will tell you now, many mothers will not be allowing their children to turn up if they think their cheekbones will be broken or their eyes gouged. And who can blame them? If South Africa are that determined to win at any cost, then let them have the World Cup. Why don't we just send out two teams with machine guns and they can all shoot each other, then whoever has the most team members alive at the end can be declared the holders of the Rugby World Cup?

The Lions coach, Ian McGeechan, a thoroughly decent and courageous man, said without hestiation it was not the game he had been brought up to play, while one of the Sky commentators had the nerve to say, "Oh it's just modern rugby." Well if it is, the game is doomed. When professionalism first came in I used to laugh when Denis Thatcher said it would all end in tears. I'm not laughing quite so much now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Indeed, Burger was out of line and should have been red carded. Was out of character.

Great series win for the Boks!

Off to Newlands on Sunday to watch the 3rd cricket Test.. turning out to be quiet a series. England looking the better team at the moment. 20 wickets win Tests, our bowlers look dismal!

My prediction is 1-1 going into the Wanderers Test.. what your thoughts ?

Best Regards,

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home