Header
Header
Header
 


04 June 2009

The Olympic torch

Many years ago I purchased at an auction, a 1948 Olympic torch which, in the run-up to the 2012 Olympics, is doing a tour of schools, festivals and athletics meetings around the country. It will be at the Crystal Palace Festival this weekend.



John Greatrex, former Olympic athlete holding the torch.....with an unknown fan

8 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

Jeffrey

It had never occurred to me that Olympic Torches might be in private hands...

1:44 PM  
Anonymous JohnGreatrex said...

The actual ex-Olympic runner is the fellow in black with the big smile. The other bloke, a South London Harrier, is an ex-GB athlete who ran for Wales in the Commonwealth Games.

I'd like to thank you for allowing me use of this relay torch THE SPIRIT OF 48. In the last five years it's giving lots of ordinary people the chance to really be in touch with the past: to hold an actual piece of Olympic history - this torch held the sacred Olympic Flame on part of the journey from Olympia in Greece to London 1948.

In the build up to London 2012 it was first carried by Graham Taylor, the ex-England Soccer Team Manager, for the deaf/blind charity SENSE in the 2004 London Marathon.

If you were now to go to the British 10k website you can see it being held by the winners as they cross the finishing line.

This weekend at the Crystal Palace Festival the torch will be re-lit. (On 30th November 1936 the Crystal Palace burned and a fire put out. Now, at that same site, on Saturday 6th June 2009, high on the southern hills of our capital city, we shall rekindle a flame.)

1:59 PM  
Blogger Charlie said...

JohnG

"THE SPIRIT OF 48. In the last five years it's giving lots of ordinary people the chance to really be in touch with the past..."

Thanks for that. I was born in 1948..! I only wish people did want to touch me.

Seriously John, if you come back to this site, can you tell us what fuel the "Torch" uses? For example, methylated Spirits..?

I also wonder, with "modern" technology, has the "Torch" fuel changed and, how long does one charge of fuel last..?

Incidentally, thank you for the Crystal Palace historical data. My Niece, a teacher, will be there with some pupils and their parents.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Kengkawan said...

wow! lucky man

wish someday i could hold it too

7:13 AM  
Anonymous John Greatrex said...

Charlie:

Happy 61st Birthday Year!

Snap: I'm also an Olympic 1948 London baby.

In 1948 the relay torch fuel was a newly invented 'fire brick' that lasted up to half an hour.

THE SPIRIT OF 48 fuel is indeed spirit. I soak an old sock or some other material in lighter fuel inside the bottom half of an empty bake bean tin that fits into the middle of the torch. If you'd like a photo of it email me at greatrexv@aol.com
Loughborough University Sports Department has a lot more in depth information about the original fuelling of the torch.


Kengkawan:


If someone wants to play "Jim'll Fix It" and foots my airfare I'll bring it to you.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Charlie said...

John

And Happy 61st Birthday Year to you as well!

Strange reading your comment today because today is actually my 61st Birthday!

Anyway John, many thanks for your reply and the information. Fascinating stuff.

I'd love the photo of the Torch "interior" - my e-mail is on its' way and, I will also follow-up on the Loughborough Uni. Sports site.

Many thanks.

1:09 PM  
Blogger CHARANG said...

your are holding historical Olympic torch, really lucky man.

3:32 AM  
Blogger Charlie said...

For any readers who pass this way in future and have an interest in the modern Olympic Torches, how they work, weight etc etc, as I do, John Greatrex very kindly directed me to the Victoria & Albert Museum's website which superb photos and details:

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/objectid/O123217

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home