Header
Header
Header
 


24 June 2009

Double helping

I attended two art gallery openings last night. The first was Charlie Barton's exhibition, Bang!, at The Avenue Restaurant in St James's. The show, celebrating the 40th anniversary of man landing on the moon, was opened by one of England's national treasures, Sir Patrick Moore. Despite being confined to a wheelchair, he was still on top form and surrounded by a host of admirers who didn't seem to notice that Prince Edward and Andrew Lloyd Webber were also in attendance. The image on the right is called Imbrium 2009.


I slipped away to go to the opening of the Bill Brandt photographic exhibition at the Chris Beetles Gallery, which was so popular there were 30 or 40 people standing out on the pavement, unable to get into the gallery. The retrospective is a magnificent tribute to the iconic photographer, and the star of this particular show was Brandt's 93 year old widow who caused far more interest than the scantily dressed young ladies who seem more interested in drinking champagne than looking at the photographs. Both exhibitions are well worth a visit, and as they're only a couple of hundred yards away from each other, you could spend a happy hour visiting both of them.

Northumbrian coal miner eating his evening meal, 1937.


2 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

Jeffrey,

A few months ago, via your Blog, you introduced me to Chris Beetles Gallery, which I visited a couple of weeks ago (I shall have to return to view the Bill Brandt exhibition) and now, you've introduced Charlie Barton who I'd not heard of before but her work looks superb! I shall visit her exhibition as well.

Great to hear that Patrick Moore is still with us, albeit in a wheelchair. As you say, one of England's national treasures. A wonderful, inspirational, man.

7:08 PM  
Blogger krishnamoorthy said...

dear mr archer
since your last blog
- michael jackson died
- andy murray won a marathon in the first ever closed centre court
- madoff was sentenced to 151 years in prison
we still do not know what you have to say about these events
this is unfair
come back and regale us

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home