Header
Header
Header
 


05 June 2009

Are women recession proof?

Last night I attended the Mad Hatters' Ball in the Mall Galleries, St James's. The Mad Hatters hold this annual event to raise money for The Children's Trust, which provides care, education, therapy and rehabilitation to children with multiple disabilities and complex health needs. The show opened with a fashion parade with the focus on hats - outrageous ones for Ascot and jaunty ones for holidays, with the models all giving their services for free. Auctioning on a catwork is quite fun because you can really get among the bidders, and the total raised from the auction was £21,150, with the top item being a visit for 10 people to Deutsche Bank's HQ in London to view their private art collection, built up over the past 60 years and billed as 'From Bacon to Hirst'. This went for £2,000. What was interesting for me, was that the women in the audience were outbidding the men.

7 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

Jeffrey

I don't know about women being recession proof.

But many more women today are holding positions at very senior levels throughout industry etc and rightly so and, without in any way wishing to sound condescending, they're doing extremely well.

Also, many are not marrying. A generalisation I know, but I've also found women to be very "sensible" where money's concerned and generous in respect of worthwhile charitable causes...

1:21 PM  
Blogger Vids said...

Sir Jeffrey

I feel Women think more with their hearts than brains.. and are driven more by emotion. May be the charitable cause made the women outbid the men. :-)

7:11 PM  
Blogger Kumara S Raghavendra said...

I couldn't have put it in a better way myself Charlie. You have voiced my opinion as well.
Moreover, the competitive nature and the desire to come out on top has set into the woman's mind. We witness that in nearly all major results, especially academic, in India where girls outperform boys from a very young age.

6:25 AM  
Blogger mythusmage said...

In my experience I have found women to be more open to decorations, to making their living space a pleasant place to be. Art is a part of that. Art you can wear and be daring with is a huge part of that.

5:04 AM  
Anonymous Shri said...

I feel women are a bit more sensible when it comes to investments than men. I've been seeing more men nowadays who splurge on unnecessary shopping! Women are not easily swayed by get rich quick schemes & high risk-high return type of investments. They also possess an inherent sense of caution & would always like to have good savings/security for future

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Shri said...

Bought 'Prisoner of Birth' in May & finished it in 2days. Loved it! Gave it to my dad who also liked it a lot. You appeal to the late 20s & early 60s too! Have read most of your novels & short stories. To us in India too your characters appealed as much as they would to readers in UK & elsewhere. Regret having missed you in your trip to India as am on maternity rest. Read about your visit & your interview subsequently in the papers...

6:20 PM  
Blogger Jack Prebble said...

I think I side moreso with Vids reasoning, although, like assumptions its a generlisation woman in fact are by nature more compassionate and giving, and by character bigger spenders, except perhaps on business matters. Although social trends are very much changing.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home