Modern theatre demands that a playwright produces a piece of work with three actors, no scenery and a script that is no longer than 90 minutes. This is to fit in with people's attention spans, while giving the producer a chance of making a profit. And indeed it has proved a successful formula. However, last night I went to see the revival of Tom Stoppard's Arcadia: 10 actors, a massive set and it runs for nearly three hours. Doesn't exactly fulfill the new demands of the 21st century. The Duke of York's theatre was packed, and the audience enjoyed every moment of this brilliant play. I first saw the original production at the National Theatre some 15 years ago with Bill Nighy, Felicity Kendal, Rufus Sewell, Harriet Walter and Samuel West. Today's cast of Samantha Bond, Neil Pearson, Nancy Carroll, Dan Stevens and Jessie Cave were just as captivating and I have no doubt this play will have a long run and make a large profit for Sonia Friedman, who has for many years given the West End some of its finest productions. If you can get a ticket, go and see it.



2 Comments:
Sir Jeffrey,
"Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less" is dedicated 'To Mary and the fat men.' Mary, I understand, is your wife. But I was puzzled by 'the fat men.' Could you please explain whom you were referring to?
Rujuta - This book, which I wrote 32 years ago, is dedicated to my wife and two sons, who were then aged 5 and 3.
Post a Comment
<< Home