On Wednesday I attended the first Test Match, England v West Indies, at Lord's as the guest of David Morgan, President of the ICC. I grumbled at him, which was very unfair, about Test matches starting on a Wednesday when they should start on a Thursday. I wasn't surprised to find the ground only half full. If we win today, they will have lost out on the income from the match being played on Saturday and Sunday, so I expect they'll learn very quickly that Thursday is the correct day on which to begin. Now I'm told the first Test against the Australians is at Cardiff and not Lord's. What is the world coming to?
On Sunday I'm off to India, first stop, Chennai. Much looking forward to revisiting a country that gave me such a warm welcome last year, and catching up with many old friends and, I hope, making some new ones. I'm visiting 5 cities in 12 days, and as the details of my itinerary are on the website, you'll be able to catch up with me if you want to. My PA has come up with an idea - as I intend to go on blogging while I'm away, if you have any interesting photos from the trip, we'll put the best ones up on the daily blog (email them to me at questions@jeffreyarcher.co.uk).
On Sunday I'm off to India, first stop, Chennai. Much looking forward to revisiting a country that gave me such a warm welcome last year, and catching up with many old friends and, I hope, making some new ones. I'm visiting 5 cities in 12 days, and as the details of my itinerary are on the website, you'll be able to catch up with me if you want to. My PA has come up with an idea - as I intend to go on blogging while I'm away, if you have any interesting photos from the trip, we'll put the best ones up on the daily blog (email them to me at questions@jeffreyarcher.co.uk).



14 Comments:
Jeffrey,
Cricket. Unfortunately, typical of so much nowadays. People trying to re-invent the wheel - justify their existence - which often leaves a mess, financial and otherwise, to be cleared-up by others...
Jeffrey, you're off to India in a couple of days (good luck with the promotion) and I've been looking at the "Landmark" website as I see from your itinerary that you'll be promoting "Paths of Glory" at a number of their locations.
I have a UK edition of PoG published by PanMacmillan and whilst on "Landmark's" site I looked-up PoG. To my surprise, whilst also published for the Indian market by PanM, PoG's jacket design is completely different to the UK edition.
Could you at some time tell us why that is..?
Jeffrey,
"...I wasn't surprised to find the ground only half full. If we win today, they will have lost out on the income from the match being played on Saturday and Sunday, so I expect they'll learn very quickly that Thursday is the correct day on which to begin..." (08.05.09)
How right you were..!
Hi Jeffery,
I am a sort of new fan of yours just completed The Prodigal Daughter, the first novel of yours that I have read. Would you please suggest me which one should I read next?
Your Fan
Kim
So just a day left now for the India visit.
Sir, did you know that your books have been translated into Malayalam as well as to Tamil. please follow this link to get details of Tamil translation
http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/story.aspx?Title=Jeffrey+Archer+in+Tamil&artid=MOgCLXHJE6E=&SectionID=lifojHIWDUU=&MainSectionID=wIcBMLGbUJI=&SectionName=rSY%7C6QYp3kQ=&SEO=
Sir Jeffrey,
welcome to chennai! hope to see you on Monday on behalf of our literary club I have chosen 3 questions, if you do get the time pls answer.
1. We had a workshop recently at the British Council by Gowri Ramnaraya on short story writing where your story of the woman who runs over a cat on the highway and in whose car dicky there would be killer on prowl....was read and this was followed by very interesting analysis by the group ? Do you think Denouement' are a must for any short story ? Do you think in your personal case all your readers know that they can expect to always find the unexpected Denoument(not meant to be tautological) ?
2. The most discussed topic in this elections in India is bringing back the illegal money of politicians stashed abroad , as a person who has dealt with this topic in a short story way back and knowing that sir jeffrey doesnt write without doing his research , What do you think about politicians who stash their ill gotten money abroad ? Is it possible to get back the money especially if the Swiss Bank managers are like the way you portrayed them to be ?
3. Would you write a story/screen play for bollywood.
Hope to see you the day after, I know this time it would be a longer queue but bet ya we would wait to get your autograph even if it takes us 12 hours!
Cheers
Venkat
p.s: I hope England does repeat a west indies @ the ashes
You're coming back?! Yay!
Are you visiting Kolkata??
Ayan Sarbadhikari - I'm sorry, but not on this trip.
Charlie - I don't know why the jacket design should be different in India, but no doubt I'll find out while I'm here.
Kim - as you've just read 'The Prodigal Daughter', may I suggest you read 'Shall we tell the President' which features the character of Florentyna. Hope you enjoy it!
Sir,
Congratulations, your team won by a wide margin or should I say without any loss of any wickets.
Rohan Agarwal
Thanks a lot Mr Archer, I would certainly read that book.
Thanks again Kim.
Jeffrey
Following-on the cricket comment you made on this thread...
The BBC commentator Jonathan Agnew was on R4's 'Today" programme this morning also saying how foolish it had been to start the first Test on a Wednesday (06 May). I didn't hear him mention the Cardiff venue though..!
Venkat - many thanks for your comments. I personally feel a 'denouuement' is a must for a short story, and no, I've never considered writing a story or screenplay for Bollywood.
Post a Comment
<< Home