Header
Header
Header
 


27 May 2009

The talk of the town

During the past fortnight, I've been following the expenses debacle, so vividly outlined in the Daily Telegraph each day. Fascinating stuff. When I first entered the House of Commons in 1979, a Member of Parliament was paid £4,000 a year and there were no expenses. In fact the late Enoch Powell was against MPs being paid at all, and protested wildly when Sir Gerald Nabarro demanded 2½p a mile as a petrol allowance for members going to and fro between the House and their constituencies. I'm not sure how all this is going to pan out, although I am fairly certain there'll be a lot of people sitting on the back benches next year who until now hadn't considered a career in the House of Commons. It will be interesting to find out if they're any more saintly, or any better at doing the job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home