My final event in Bangalore last night was so crowded that they had to stop the escalators so people could stand on them and hear the speech via speakers. I arrived at 7pm and finished signing at 11pm. It's been another exciting and enjoyable tour, greatly helped by always staying at Taj hotels which are as good a group as anything we have in the UK, if not superior.
Some fascinating stories in the Indian press this morning; one, a judgement on whether a 19 year old girl can marry a 24 year old boy, when her parents oppose the marriage and have threatened to kidnap her to stop it going ahead. The judge has told them they can get married, and my team out here say that stories such as this appear every day. The second concerns a Bollywood film called Kites which is causing uproar at screenings because the lead actor kisses his leading lady. The director has said he's sick and tired of having to film 20 minutes of dancing to indicate that two characters have fallen in love. As a compromise, there'll now be an Indian version and a western version. Finally, my pet subject, the traffic. Yesterday on our drive along the motorway from the airport into the city, we passed a car that had broken down in the fast lane. The driver got out and mended it - in the fast lane. In the UK I expect there'd have been a multiple pile-up, but here they're so used to this sort of thing the traffic just dodged past him and let him get on with it. I return to the UK tomorrow, having had a wonderful fortnight with many happy memories.
Some fascinating stories in the Indian press this morning; one, a judgement on whether a 19 year old girl can marry a 24 year old boy, when her parents oppose the marriage and have threatened to kidnap her to stop it going ahead. The judge has told them they can get married, and my team out here say that stories such as this appear every day. The second concerns a Bollywood film called Kites which is causing uproar at screenings because the lead actor kisses his leading lady. The director has said he's sick and tired of having to film 20 minutes of dancing to indicate that two characters have fallen in love. As a compromise, there'll now be an Indian version and a western version. Finally, my pet subject, the traffic. Yesterday on our drive along the motorway from the airport into the city, we passed a car that had broken down in the fast lane. The driver got out and mended it - in the fast lane. In the UK I expect there'd have been a multiple pile-up, but here they're so used to this sort of thing the traffic just dodged past him and let him get on with it. I return to the UK tomorrow, having had a wonderful fortnight with many happy memories.



35 Comments:
Jeffrey,
So, when do you return to India..?
Your comments on the Bollywood movie "Kites" reminds me of US and UK movies of the 1950's. Censorship something along the lines; man and woman could be filmed in bed BUT only if FULLY clothed (including under-garments) and the male actor also had one foot on the floor at all times...
Also the John Mills, Sylvia Sims movie "Ice Cold in Alex". The famous "kiss" scene was initially shot with Ms Sims blouse having the top four buttons un-done. Censorship forced a re-shoot with only three buttons un-done...
What on-earth do Censors think happens in real life, I wonder?
sir
hope you had a good tour in india.thanks for coming to chennai especially during this hot summer.eagerly waiting your next book and your next visit.i had asked earlier what memorable incident (which happened in chennai) will you tell to your family.also which city`s audience did you like the best. hope you received the photos i sent to your mail.
prasanalaxmi
Dear Mr. Archer,
I am really grateful to you for talking to me on the telephone (Mumbai). To be honest when we left that message on the voice mail the previous night, I was not expecting a return call from your side, you being such a big author and a celebrity and me being just a common man (actually woman). I am really touched by your humbleness, to show such courtesy to a stranger in a foreign land is totally appreciated. At the cost of being repetitive, I once again say that I love to read your books, all of them are very good (my favourite being "As the Crow Flies"), I am indeed very disappointed that of all the meetings you had in Bombay, I could attend none and thus missed the golden opportunity to meet you in person and get my copies of your books autographed. Looking forward to your next visit to India. Once again thank you.
Kavita (Mumbai).
Sir,
I have attended your event in Bangalore, just 20 min ago. Your statistics of the number of books that get written, published and reach the top 15 is an eye-opener to what it really takes for an author to see his book selling in the market. I wanted to ask you about the suggestion you have for aspiring writers.
Thank you,
Uday Kiran
Sir,
I am fourteen years old and aspire to become a scientist and a Sci Fi writer. So what do you think I should have as my studies.
Rohan Agarwal
Hi Mr.Archer,
I was one of those in the crowd you addressed in Bangalore. It was a dream come true for me to have met you. I tried to tell you the same when you signed my copy of Kane&Abel but my tongue was glued to the palate. Thanks for coming to India.
Rohan - A good grounding in the sciences will be needed of course - physics, chemistry as well as mathematics and English. I wish you the best of luck with your studies and in the future.
Good Afternoon Lord Archer,
I was reading "Paths of Glory", which I got it autographed by you while you were in Pune last Sunday. Let me tell you that I had the intension to finish reading it by Wednesday, just three days after I started reading it. I have finished 3/4th of the book and now I have to start reading "1924", though I know that George Mallory never returned back after the 2nd attempt. Still it needs guts to read till the end and thats the power of your writing Sir. I wish you a long long life full of writings. This book is very special to me and it will always remain close to my heart as I got the opportunity to meet you and get your autograph on it.
Dear Mr.Archer, that evening, as I sat stuck behind the wheel for two full hours in the infamous Bangalore traffic, I wished I could reach the venue 'as the crow flies'. I rue the fact that I missed most of your speech and couldn't get to ask you a question.
Anyway, it was worth it all in the end. Thanks for regaling us in your inimitable style. Later, as the queue of autograph seekers snaked between endless book shelves - amidst periodic reassurances that all books would
be signed - I hoped you would make a habit of visiting India (and Bangalore!) every time a new book gets published.
Of course, as I extended four books for your signature and told you that I looked forward to your next book, I couldn't help chuckle when I heard a "Me too!". Though we all made you stay back and sign away late into the night, I still wish I had brought up my entire collection of your works that I had stacked into my car. Maybe next time!
Hope you had a great time in India...and look forward to your visit when "And thereby hangs a tale" is ready for us! The Bangalore traffic may not improve by then...I'd just have to make it a point to start for the venue a couple of hours earlier!
P.S. What I wanted to ask you was this. When can we get to read some travel writing from Jeffrey Archer? Maybe this India trip could be fodder enough for that?
P.Rajesh
Bangalore
Dear Sir, I read all your books and short stories,I have added them to my library of Summerset Maugham,Arher Haily,Allister Mclean,Ken Follet and many more. Over the years yourbooks are matured like a scotch whisky and intoxicating too. Your books are invariably re-read. We wish you live long and write many more fascinating,unputdownable books!
Jeffrey,
I missed you in Gurgaon...how I am regretting this now..
When are you coming to India again?
Dear Mr. Archer,
I'm glad to see the number of people who stand in awe of your work as well as of you having visited India. I was part of the crowd - the very large one that was present for your chat in Bangalore.
Although I am grateful to have seen and heard you; I am tremendously disappointed with something that you did – actually didn’t do.
I can’t understand, why having arrived 30 minutes late, you didn’t consider it important, necessary actually, to apologise. Instead, you made a quirky comment, and assumed you could take us all for granted.
This gathering was a fairly large one, as I’m sure you noticed, at least 70% of the attendees standing and waiting for you. I was shocked and amazed, at how the first thing that you did was talk about how you wanted to be transport minister – but not in the entire span of the evening did you think it necessary to say you were sorry.
I'm sure when you looked around the room; you saw a lot of us that had taken time off from work to get to the venue - ahead of time. Some of us (me included) got to the venue an hour and a half ahead totally surprised as there were already quite a few people, to get a good seat and enjoy participating with one of our favorite authors and books!
I don’t hold you responsible for the total lack of organization , that, I lay firmly on the shoulders of the landmark organizers. Instead of having you and loads of other people wait till 11pm, I reckon it would have been better to have started the signing at 4pm, taken a break at 7 for the session for an hour, and continue signing till 9pm.
Having said all of this, you might think me petty and immature, but I felt post Tuesday, that I may have perhaps held you in higher esteem than you deserved. Unfortunately for me, I didn’t stay to have my book signed. I was far too annoyed and disappointed; worse even is while I was waiting for you I finished half of Paths of Glory, but can’t bring myself to complete it, since I’m disappointed with the man, behind the masterpiece. That is my cross to bear entirely.
I know this may not mean too much to you, or may in fact annoy you, especially that I’ve put it on your blog. This is how I feel and whatever else India might be – it is still a democracy.
The Director of 'Kites' is father of the leading actor! That is the reason he is bombarded with these questions. People want to know how he feels when is married son is kissing some other woman that too in front of him!
In India there are few things children avoid in front of parents specially father who is head of family. Thinks like drinking, smoking, public affection. Even answering back, raising voice was insult. Things are however changing now. There are not only drinks together but also fights and murders. But not much number.
How did you like Pune? :)
Hi Archer,
Missed to meet you in Chennai, 'cos it was a monday and I was held up with work :( For your next visit, would be please make it a sunday? (Guess this is a very early request :))
I was stunned by your Kane & Able (Am I the millionth fan telling that?) and I equally liked Prisoner of Birth. Just starting on Paths of glory.
Have a great day...
Cheers,
Meena
Hi Archer,
Missed to meet you in Chennai :(
I love your Kane & Able novel and equally liked Prisoner of birth.
Just starting on Paths of Glory.
Have a great day..
Cheers,
Meena
Hello sir,
I attended the program in Bangalore on Monday. When I came up for signing, I had brought three books, of which two were quite old(ancient, you could call them). The guy over there told me that those two books would not be signed by you as they were pirated. I assure you that the books were not pirated and they were part of my aunt's library(you can see the seal on it). Please make sure this kind of thing does not happen again
Dear Jeffrey
I was at the event in Bangalore last year and I so badly wanted to be there this year but I could not get away from work ( worked till 2 am in th morning) I feel so bad not being able to see you as I had finished Paths of Glory the day it released and was looking forward to getting you to autograph the book...
An ardent fan
Beautiful.....
haha... your view of our INDIA , felt like reading the same novel from another perspective...
Of course we find those events mundane and regard them as daily but part of life mishaps...
Well Indian movies are developing , at least from the director's perspective... the traffic is what we all are taught, upon from childhood ,as a basic principle of life and well marriage... unarguably , universally agreeable subject of Indian women..
All in all i want to say..
Thank you Jeffrey . Your blog is an inspiration and path to us.. I will be waiting for your future visits to India ... (I'm from pune)
P.S: I uploaded our photo in my blog , which includes very few short stories i've written over last 5 months...... [:)]
if u ever have time .. please visit my blog and comment upon my posts....
Thanks again and cheers!!
Hey jeffrey
I was out of town when you came, hope you will visit the city again. I recently read Kane and Abel n it was awesome. Looking forward to reading all the rest !!
Jeffrey,
The Press haven't reported you as missing.
So, why I wonder, no posts from you since May 19..?
Have you, yet again, been consigned to the freezer? Should I send help..?
Hi,
Haven't heard from you after you last spoke to me in Gurgaon, India.
I think you must be relaxing in the laps of your sweet home after a tumultous tour of India?
Well, did you by any chance read my book, "EL Dorado".
Alternatively, I am in the middle of Paths of Glory and it is indeed giving an interesting reading.
Would love to hear from you....
Take care!
Seema.
Dear Mr Archer,
I remember you once said that creativity is worthless without energy. This went straight into my head. I know if only I had the energy I could do something of worth. But while I always know this to be true, I only realise it now and then, and then the fear/hope/vision fades.
I wonder if you could explain how to achieve the relentless drive that you seem to have no matter what.
Is energy fear-driven? If so, what if one is not freightend enough by potential consequences? Is it hope? Is it about what/how one visualises future goals? Is it a matter of habit, doing things now rather than waiting? Is there another secret... and do you think lazy-ish people could learn it?
Kind Regards,
James
Jeffrey
You've been un-expectedly quite, blog-wise, since you returned from India...
Are you okay?
Should the Cavalry be sent..?
Brilliant post Lord A!
jyoti - I'm not sure yet of the dates for my next visit, but keep an eye on my website as news will be posted there first. Best wishes.
James - I believe that energy is a God-given gift. You've either got it, or you haven't. Best wishes.
Hi Lord Archer,
Just finished reading your "Hell" diary (Prison dairy - Vol 1). To say that I've "enjoyed it" certainly doesn't feel right as it is real life "unpleasant" (understatement of the century) experiences you had to endure.
However it is yet another unneeded proof of your being such a great storyteller. Being able to give a day-to-day account, and still make your readers, and me, keep turning those pages and losing sleep, shows what a true artist and master of words you really are.
All the above is the reason for my entering your blog and the my entering the following comment to your latest post "Returning Home" and your mention of the censorship of the kiss in "Kites".
It reminded me of a fabulous movie from about 20 years ago called "Cinema Paradiso".
If you haven't seen it and you like movies - it is a must!
If you read the first paragraph of the following link to a review about it, the context will be clear.
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19900316/REVIEWS/3160302/1023
Thank you for giving me hundreds of hours of enjoyment reading. I started with "Not a Penny..."
and got hooked needing more and more.
Eva - Jerusalem, Israel
Eva - many thanks for your comments. I have seen 'Cinema Paradiso' and loved it.
Vin - I'm glad you made it to the Bangalore event, and I am very sorry that it started late. I realise just how long the audience had been there, and I really appreciate everyone turning up. I think your suggestion for starting the event earlier is a good one, and I'll be sure to pass it on to the tour organiser. Best wishes.
"Jeffrey Archer said...
James - I believe that energy is a God-given gift. You've either got it, or you haven't. Best wishes."
Wow, I didn't expect that! I'm quite shocked actually.
What if one was offered £1000,000 to get up before 5am every morning and go for a 30 minute jog for whole one year. I'm sure many a lazy-bum would be wide awake at 4am each day for the duration!
anonymous
that is not energy
that is greed
as you said it lasts only
for that duration
366th day the lazy bum will
sleep till noon
Driven by greed or not, it IS energy. It was meant to show that incentive and a clear vision of a straightforward reward can drive people, thus showing that energy is attainable. Maybe people who have no clear vision or any clear idea of what can be achieved through effort, cannot get motivated. Perhaps they simply don't 'believe' they can.
Hi Mr. Jeffrey Archer,
It is unfortunate that I missed meeting you were in Bangalore. You must have heard many times how great fans they are of you. I follow your novel since your first novel. I hope to meet you in person while I am in London.
My son is 10 years and started reading quiver full of arrows (of course, with my assistance and mini dictionary!!)
Have a great life.
Warm Regards
Naren
Bangalore, India
narendra.gkmr@wipro.com
Dear Mr Archer,
Thank you for making a note of my comment. In all honesty, I really didn't think it would get published, I appreciate your integrity - and to me (insignificant as I am), this means a lot.
I am no longer in India, but in Belgium, if you are ever here - I hope to meet you.
Thanks again for the acknowledgement.
Best -
Vin
Reading your blogs makes one happy.
At least it is not fiction and you are reporting and commenting on real life stuations.
Post a Comment
<< Home