Header
Header
Header
 


01 May 2009

Missable

I went to see Athol Fugard's Dimetos last night at the Donmar Warehouse, partly because I'm a great admirer of the playwright. In fact I think The Island, based on Nelson Mandela's time in prison which I saw at the National Theatre some years ago, was one of the most moving dramas of the past decade. Not so Dimetos. I just couldn't follow it. In fact when the interval came I assumed it was the end of the play, and only realised it wasn't when the actors didn't return to take a bow. It seems to be two plays with an interval in between, and I couldn't recommend you see either of them, which only shows that even Homer nods on the stage of the Donmar. However, it would be unfair not to mention a fine performance by Jonathan Pryce, who certainly made the best of a beautifully written script that didn't take us anywhere.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

two nines may not always be an eighteen!

5:04 AM  
Blogger rohan said...

Sir,

Glad to see the final places you are going to visit.Presently reading your Kane and Abel 25 years after its release.I don't think i would be able to visit you as i would be at least 300 kms from any of the places.

4:44 PM  
Blogger rohan said...

Sir,

Like your Abel Rosnovski of Kane and Abel.I think you should write a story of a person like Abel solo like Charlie Trumper of As the Crow Flies.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review.

7:20 PM  
Blogger gaja said...

hi gr8 to read ur blog!!!! i really love ur books!!! my favourite is kane and abel series and not a penny more not a penny less!!!!

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi this is gajalakshmi frm india i love your books!!!! gr8 to read ur blog!!!

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home