Header
Header
Header
 


18 May 2009

Looking to the future

The general election here has been decided, and it has turned out to be a surprise for the Indian nation. They had feared that several parties would have to join together in order to form a government, which always ends up in compromise, with projects that shouldn't be considered reaching the top of the pile. To everyone's surprise, the Congress Party had a triumphant victory and the former Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh, has been re-elected, despite being 77 years old. He is expected to govern for at least another 2 or 3 years while they prepare the young Rahul Gandhi (aged 38), grandson of Indira Gandhi - contrary to what I read in one English newspaper this morning which reported that the PM would only stand for a few weeks. This is drivel. Age is no set-back in India. The leader of the Opposition is 82. Can we learn something from this? The Gandhi dynasty continues on, as Rahul's mother, Sonia, is chairman of the Party and the two of them are widely credited for organising a brilliant campaign. The stock market shot up 20 percent and there is a feeling in India that this is their decade. Their largest demographic is those between the ages of 20 and 30; they don't have an aging population, but a young, vibrant, and well educated one. Perhaps more important, their banks are not collapsing; their wise old PM, an economist by training, passed a law prohibiting banks loaning to people who couldn't offer 100% collaterol.

My tour continues at a thrilling pace, and I'm posting some more photographs from the event in Gurgaon on Friday, kindly sent in by Loreign & Eilleen Ovung and Arindam.
















Last night here in Pune, I spoke to a packed-out audience, which was followed by a book signing session lasting 3 hours. While in the city, I did manage to squeeze in a visit to the best jewellery shop I've ever been to, Dolphin Jewellery, in the Clover Centre. No doormen, no fancy salespeople, just two Indians - one a craftsman, the other a salesman - and reasonable prices. I'm dictating this blog in a taxi on the motorway - that's how they describe it - on the way to the airport. Rickshaws, bikes (the women riding side-saddle on the back, their saris spotless despite the dust), and assorted animals ensuring that we don't do more than 20 mph. I'm off to Bangalore for the final set of interviews and a speech before returning to Britain. It's been a fascinating tour, and I shall be sorry to be leaving this exciting and vibrant country.

15 Comments:

Blogger girish said...

Hi J,

I attended last Night at Pune at Land Mark.Good event.

I would like to know wheather days in prison were more productive or normal days are more fertile?

10:07 AM  
Blogger vijai said...

Sir Archer,
Thank you for suggesting the books on George Mallory.

11:46 AM  
Blogger vijai said...

Sir Archer,
Atlast India has got a stable Government.Now without compromise the Congress can work towards the development of the country.But what worries me is vote based mandate of the Congress which does not offer solutions to the real issues that is hurting the nation.

11:55 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Glad to hear youy are having an enjoyable tour of India Jeffrey, but who is next on the list.

One can never have too many trips to Australia, or am I being too hopefull?

12:56 PM  
Blogger Charlie said...

Jeffrey,

Good to hear your assessment of the Indian political situation AND, the lack of bias against age - a wise land indeed.

Fascinating to think we may see another "Gandhi" family member leading the country.

By the way Jeffrey, can you tell us which country sells the most of your books?

1:33 PM  
Blogger Dinesh Kannan said...

Jeffrey,
This was a question I wanted to throw up at Landmark,Chennai!
I never got my turn!
Q:Amidst the Indian team players,who do u think would make a good story teller?Is there anyone at all?What about the English team?
Sourav Ganguly,his imagination and highly opinionated character?
Would he feature in your list?

2:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,
This is seema. We met up at Landmark, Gurgaon.I had a story to tell you. Could you give me your mail id for privacy sake where I could send you the synopsis.

Warm rgds,
Seema.
Take care!

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Uday said...

Sir,

I have attended your event in Bangalore, just 20 min ago. Your statistics of the number of books that get written, published and reach the top 15 is an eye-opener to what it really takes for an author to see his book selling in the market. I wanted to ask you about the suggestion you have for aspiring writers.

Thank you,
Uday Kiran

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Eilleen said...

Dear Lord Archer

Thanks so much for putting up our pictures! (In our excitement, we forgot to use the zoom feature!:))
Loreign & Eilleen

4:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sir
i have sent you the photos.thanks for replying to me.
prasanalaxmi

5:32 PM  
Blogger Deepak said...

Mr.Archer,
I enjoy your writing.Iwas there in Poona,at Landmark.I have read almost all your books.Yesterday i finished reading 'Paths of Glory".
There never was a Governor General posted at Bombay.GG ,before 1911 was at Calcutta & then at Delhi.Bombay had a only a Governor.
it doesnt make sense to hire porters & mules from Bombay.General Bruce must have hired from Calcutta,or,Siligudi Which is much closer to start of ascent.Porters from Bombay would not be most suited to climb with a load at high altitudes.you need residents from mountains (Sherpa) for the job.
Ofcource,these facts do not lower readability of the book.

Dr.Deepak Raje

5:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lord Jeffrey,

They love you there! You deserve it! Wish the US had a bank lending law that wise. BOSTON

12:46 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Charlie - I'm not sure, probably the USA.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

GIRISH - Many thanks. Well, I certainly had more time to write in prison than in my 'normal life'.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Swatantra said...

Dear Jeffery,

I liked your talk, it was inspirational. Specially I loved the part when you mentioned about the no. 1 best seller.

Thanks for putting my son’s picture on your blog.. He is 5 year old and create stories, I started a blog in his name. It will be great if you can read and comment.

Thanks for visiting INDIA!!

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home